Hardinge CHNC II+ Hickory LeadShine EL7 Retrofit

All things ecat Hickory CNC controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cncsnw

Re: Hardinge CHNC II+ Hickory LeadShine EL7 Retrofit

Post by cncsnw »

Not quite right, but if you do not have a jog panel pendant or console, and you never use the keyboard jog equivalents, then your fix will work just fine.

I would have swapped SkinJogAx2Plus_M_SV and SkinJogAx2Minus_M_SV between the two lines, so that the upward-pointing jog buttons in all three contexts do a minus jog, and the downward-pointing jog buttons in all three contexts do a plus jog.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

glbreil wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:39 pmOnce I have set home using M26/X/Z can I just use a G28 to return there without messing up my home setting.
Yes. G28 just moves the axes to the designated location, relative to the already-set machine zero. G28 does not change your machine zero.
glbreil
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by glbreil »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:25 pm Not quite right, but if you do not have a jog panel pendant or console, and you never use the keyboard jog equivalents, then your fix will work just fine.

I would have swapped SkinJogAx2Plus_M_SV and SkinJogAx2Minus_M_SV between the two lines, so that the upward-pointing jog buttons in all three contexts do a minus jog, and the downward-pointing jog buttons in all three contexts do a plus jog.

Thanks Mark, I do have a wireless MPG if that will make a difference.

I saved a copy of the original, so would I need to go back to that original version and just swapped the two you mentioned, or just move the two I currently have swapped back to where they were and swapped the two you mentioned?

I did tear it all down for now it once I get it in the machine I want to get it all correct.

I was most confused in the beginning because in the original version the plus’s and minus’s were all mixed up between the two lines, but not so when I looked at Axis1. I tried to match Axis1 but the two I swapped were the only ones that seemed to make a difference.

Thanks Gary
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Those sections of the PLC program do take a little consideration.

First, remember that it is initially based on the hardware jog panel and keyboard jogging, where keys have fixed addresses: the jog key in the center of the jog panel that points up (Y+ on a mill, X+ on a lathe with rear-mounted tools, X- on a lathe with front-mounted tools) is always INP1089 (or JPI33). The up arrow key on the keyboard is always SV_PC_KEYBOARD_KEY_87.

Second, note that there are several lathe configurations to be supported, preferably without having to have a different PLC program for every one:
1) Horizontal lathe with rear-mount tools: Z- left, Z+ right, X+ up, X- down (the default)
2) Horizontal lathe with front-mount tools: Z- left, Z+ right, X- up, X+ down (selected by adding 2 to parameter 1)
3) Vertical lathe with the carriage on the right: X- left, X+ right, Z+ up, Z- down (selected by adding 4 to parameter 1)
4) Vertical lathe with the carriage on the left: X+ left, X- right, Z+ up, Z- down (selected by adding 4+2=6 to parameter 1)

So the purpose of the four separate jog key stages is to map the presumably-fixed jog key addresses to the desired functions for the machine, according to the value of parameter 1.

If you compare JogKeysNormalStage with JogKeysInvert2Stage you will see that axis #1 (Z) jogging is unchanged; and that, for axis #2 (X) jogging, the references to jog panel keys (Ax2PlusJogKey_I and Ax2MinusJogKey_I and keyboard equivalents (KbJogAx2Plus_M and KbJogAx2Minus_M) have been swapped. The USB MPG jog keys (UsbMpgAxis2JogPlus_M and UsbMpgAxis2JogMinus_M) do not need to be swapped, because those keys always say "Jog -" and "Jog +" respectively, and are not laid out in a way that is specific to machine geometry.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:43 pm Those sections of the PLC program do take a little consideration.

First, remember that it is initially based on the hardware jog panel and keyboard jogging, where keys have fixed addresses: the jog key in the center of the jog panel that points up (Y+ on a mill, X+ on a lathe with rear-mounted tools, X- on a lathe with front-mounted tools) is always INP1089 (or JPI33). The up arrow key on the keyboard is always SV_PC_KEYBOARD_KEY_87.

Second, note that there are several lathe configurations to be supported, preferably without having to have a different PLC program for every one:
1) Horizontal lathe with rear-mount tools: Z- left, Z+ right, X+ up, X- down (the default)
2) Horizontal lathe with front-mount tools: Z- left, Z+ right, X- up, X+ down (selected by adding 2 to parameter 1)
3) Vertical lathe with the carriage on the right: X- left, X+ right, Z+ up, Z- down (selected by adding 4 to parameter 1)
4) Vertical lathe with the carriage on the left: X+ left, X- right, Z+ up, Z- down (selected by adding 4+2=6 to parameter 1)

So the purpose of the four separate jog key stages is to map the presumably-fixed jog key addresses to the desired functions for the machine, according to the value of parameter 1.

If you compare JogKeysNormalStage with JogKeysInvert2Stage you will see that axis #1 (Z) jogging is unchanged; and that, for axis #2 (X) jogging, the references to jog panel keys (Ax2PlusJogKey_I and Ax2MinusJogKey_I and keyboard equivalents (KbJogAx2Plus_M and KbJogAx2Minus_M) have been swapped. The USB MPG jog keys (UsbMpgAxis2JogPlus_M and UsbMpgAxis2JogMinus_M) do not need to be swapped, because those keys always say "Jog -" and "Jog +" respectively, and are not laid out in a way that is specific to machine geometry.
Thanks Again Marc, understanding what those words represent better definitely helps me. I will get it changed as soon as I get it set up again.

Thanks Gary
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

To save a little space and make it look a little cleaner I am planning to overlap the end of the output relay boards when I mount them. There aren’t any traces close, does anyone have any thoughts or see any issues with that?

Thanks Gary
IMG_1648.jpeg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KL88FycMxDj5WmwWA
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i've seen others stair step stack them to save space as well
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Hello, I have a Centroid DP-1 probe and searches both here and Google turn up nothing at all. It’s sort of like it doesn’t exist. I was wondering if I change the touch surface if I will be able to use it with the Hickory to set lathe tools?

Thanks Gary
IMG_1650.jpeg
IMG_1651.jpeg
IMG_1652.jpeg
centroid467
CNC12: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by centroid467 »

It is difficult to find information on that probe in general it seems. I found the manual for it but that is about all.

There may be some issues with lower spring stiffness causing inaccuracies when using a touch probe meant for tip down vertical use in a horizontal arrangement. We only recommend TT-2 or TT-4 for horizontal use. I am not entirely sure if that applies to the DP-1 but I can at least warn you.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Making some progress and getting ready to start landing wires on the inputs and output relays.

Thanks Gary

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KL88FycMxDj5WmwWA
IMG_1663.jpeg