CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

C-axis Gear Drive Encoder / Lathe Live Tooling

Post by mp25 »

Hi all,

I am evaluating whether to convert my Emco PC Turn 155 (dead controller board) to a hickory control with some leadshine servos. Replacing the old Berger steppers in X and Z seems simple, along with wiring in the WEG AC spindle motor. My question is on both the live tooling Lenze servo and the C-axis motor. The live tool servo, while not direct drive seems to be a 1:1 based on motor speed/torque nameplate compared to the manuals listed max live tool spindle speed, so this "should" be a drop-in replacement. But if there is a gearing ratio hidden under the sheet metal (I am waiting to do a light teardown until I figure out how feasible this all is) is there the ability to apply a gear ratio in the centroid control?

Then on the C-Axis, it is a gear-driven system, where a pneumatic cylinder (I would plan on M code relay operating) is acuated and a gear on the spindle is meshed with a gear attached to either another Berger stepper or a servo (again I haven't pulled enough sheet metal aways to know). My question is how the centroid software will deal with the encoder of the c-axis servo vs the spindle encoder. Since here it is not a 1:1 and I believe want to take the spindle encoder feedback since that should eliminate any need for backlash comp, is this possible? Or, should/can I apply a gear ratio to this servo in the software and apply backlash comp?

Thanks for the help! and if anyone has done a similar C-axis conversion or dealt with the emco tool changer please let me know.

Thanks
Attachments
PXL_20240506_001723691.jpg
PXL_20240506_001834757.jpg