CNC12 v5.1 Release Candidate #2 is now available.

Moderator: cnckeith

grossmsj
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: CNC12 v5.1 Release Candidate #2 is now available.

Post by grossmsj »

#1 Router setup IMHO is: fixed Tool Touch Off for Tool Lengths and using a moveable Touch Plate for setting zeros
So how does one do this if you have the DP-3, TT-4 and the usual NO Touch Plate? My 'touch plate' now is a piece of paper. :(
Note: In upcoming CNC12 v5.2 we are adding Wizard support for Touch Plates with a new Wizard Menu specifically for Touch Plates which will auto configure Probes, TT's and Touch Plates when they are all used together.
This would be great!!
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:25 pm are you using the Tool Touch Off menu to setup a Touch Plate? Well, I guess I am. When I first set this machine up 5 years ago, I didn't have a fixed tool measure device/plunger yet, just a simple conductive touch plate. So the most logical/easy settings were to set the touch plate for ToolTouchOffTriggered and then use the Tool Touch Off Config in the wizard (since it's not a probe). After all, it has the plate height setting and subtraction of said height, and even says "Tool Touch Off/Surface Plate: Height for setting part zero. ;)

Tool Touch Off is for Tool Offset Measurement and not settings zeros. But the related settings/values are used in tool change macros, whether custom made, OEM made, or custom app, that in turn do set part zero as well. mfunc44.mac being an OEM example.

Touch Off Plate is for Setting zeros in most cases but could also be used as a Tool Measurement device under the right circumstances. Yep. For example, a moveable spring loaded conductive button or wireless tool setter etc.

swissi worked out all these combinations so you can just pick what you want to do, seems like each router operator wants to use some other combination. :-)) that's why we are creating a Touch Plate Setup menu in the Wizard to accompany the TT and Probe menus and offer canned macros and canned vcp buttons for the most common methods and combinations used by router users. I've been using Swissi's awesome app, but started out with a custom made verbose macro that did the same as the app does for 'first tool/consecutive tool/without setting' options.

#1 Router setup IMHO is: fixed Tool Touch Off for Tool Lengths and using a moveable Touch Plate for setting zeros Yes, and that's how I roll.

TT is NC, Touch Plate is NO

and then this method has two branches,

use tool offsets and maintain a tool library or not (measure each tool over with every tool change)

and then two more branches

with ATC and Without.
So, with the above said in red, I think I may have this fixed, for now at least. With the Tool Touch Off form said to be used for offset measurement and that a using a conductive touch plate is basically like a probe, I've switched my touch plate to use 'ProbeTripped/conductive/closed when tripped' and my tool measure device to 'ToolTouchOffTriggered/mechanical/open when triggered'. This change seems to be working just the same as before the changes that were made in v5.10rc2. We'll run with it and see how it goes, but it looks like it is working, and is also working with Swissi's app again for tool setting and probing as well.
Scott
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

great, thanks for reporting back
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
avp
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E062346A1C67-0716214939

Post by avp »

I am having an issue with tool offset measurements as well with the new probe logic. I have a fixed TT device setup as "tool touch off triggered" on input 7. Configured as mechanical/NC - open when triggered. I also have a movable TT device, same device, connected to the same input for setting auto Z to plate. Configured the same way.
This all works in 5.08 fine.

In 5.1 RC3 when I go to /setup/tool/offset library/auto measure I get this message.
IMG_8853.jpg
Also as in the previous post the only way I can get auto Z to plate to work and trigger input & is if I set it up as conductive NO even though it is not. If I do not set it up that way, it doesn't trigger.

Any thoughts on this as I can't auto measure tools now without a detect, and this device does not have a detect switch to connect to an input.
Bill
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

avp wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 pm I am having an issue with tool offset measurements as well with the new probe logic. I have a fixed TT device setup as "tool touch off triggered" on input 7. Configured as mechanical/NC - open when triggered. I also have a movable TT device, same device, connected to the same input for setting auto Z to plate. Configured the same way.
This all works in 5.08 fine.

In 5.1 RC3 when I go to /setup/tool/offset library/auto measure I get this message.
IMG_8853.jpg

Also as in the previous post the only way I can get auto Z to plate to work and trigger input & is if I set it up as conductive NO even though it is not. If I do not set it up that way, it doesn't trigger.

Any thoughts on this as I can't auto measure tools now without a detect, and this device does not have a detect switch to connect to an input.
Bill
report_E062346A1C67-0716214939_2024-03-30_16-27-10.zip
thanks! the message is confusing! and was intended for touch probes changing that now so it won't appear for TT's.

Misc Notes: on NC Probes and Touch offs.

- what this message is trying do do is when you have a normally closed device WITHOUT a detect this a new message to let you know to check that it is really connected and working.

- if you use a detect input to let CNC12 know you have the TT plugged in this message won't be displayed.

- in general we are moving to distinguish between a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off, and a Touch Plate.

- in future v5.2 "F3 Auto" in the tool library is going to run a user editable macro so you can add or delete any sort of warning "helpful" message(s) that may or may not occur during the cycle.

- There is a new dedicated Touch Plate Setup menu in the Wizard in v5.2 Router

- There is old school way to 'fake' a probe detect with a VCP button so when you plug in a TT or Probe without a physical wired detect you can use a VCP button to tell CNC12 that you have the probe ready to go.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html