Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: OPCON and USB-BOB

Post by ShawnM »

Can anyone recommend a supplier of industrial, lighted switches that have 5V LED's in them? I'm not talking about $3 switches from Amazon either. My supplier that I use for all my industrial switches only has 24v DC and then AC lighted switches. I think they might carry 12v also but I've not seen an industrial, lighted switch that is 5V.

In my opinion there should have been a way to wire in whatever voltage we needed for the lighted terminals on the BOB for the switches and buttons but I understand why they chose 5V so that they can be powered from the USB. Maybe put a jumper on the board to be able to be able to select from the "on board" 5V or the "optional input" that could have been 24V to use with true industrial switches and buttons.
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

ShawnM wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:45 am Can anyone recommend a supplier of industrial, lighted switches that have 5V LED's in them? I'm not talking about $3 switches from Amazon either. My supplier that I use for all my industrial switches only has 24v DC and then AC lighted switches. I think they might carry 12v also but I've not seen an industrial, lighted switch that is 5V.

In my opinion there should have been a way to wire in whatever voltage we needed for the lighted terminals on the BOB for the switches and buttons but I understand why they chose 5V so that they can be powered from the USB. Maybe put a jumper on the board to be able to be able to select from the "on board" 5V or the "optional input" that could have been 24V to use with true industrial switches and buttons.
Shawn, that's why I made them open collector outputs :) You can use up to 48V DC for the LEDs without any problems. If you have AC indicators then I'm sure you know what to do to make that work with open collector outputs.

If you're asking about the inputs as well: 24V DC rated switch contacts should be alright with 5V DC and the relatively low current through the optoisolators. There were several other factors in the decision to not use the configurable inputs as seen on the various PLC expansion boards.

There are switches with 6V indicators available from FactoryMation, Digi-Key, and other suppliers. Digi-Key has these and other types from CIT available with 6V DC rated lights.

Thank you for your feedback!
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by ShawnM »

Ah ha, thanks. I have plenty of 24v lighted switches and pushbuttons I have just never seen and industrial switch/pushbutton with a 5v LED. I buy Factorymation switches and have not seen a 5V LED for their lamp blocks on their website. I do have accounts with Digikey and Mouser but Factorymation has very good pricing and variety on their lighted switches and pushbuttons. I haven't used AC indicators in a long time.

I was missing a few parts when I received the USB-BOB and I'm waiting on them now from Centroid. I'm running some wires now and doing a panel layout for the option I want.

Thanks for the reply.
RC-Lights
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0008DC111213-1005220061

Post by RC-Lights »

Hi, i am also planning a control pannel for the BOB.

I was wondering how to handle the control of permanent functions with momentary switches.

For example the light in the machine, i want to control with an output. Do i need a permanent switch for it or will work a momentary switch to start and stop the action?

Or will this depends on the Plc program in the Background?

Thanks
Michael
Allin1Chris
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Allin1Chris »

RC-Lights wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 am Hi, i am also planning a control pannel for the BOB.

I was wondering how to handle the control of permanent functions with momentary switches.

For example the light in the machine, i want to control with an output. Do i need a permanent switch for it or will work a momentary switch to start and stop the action?

Or will this depends on the Plc program in the Background?

Thanks
Michael
PLC will be involved, so functionality can be adjusted, added, or removed if needed through editing of the plc if not already supported with the stock choices in the wizard / plc.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

centroid467 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:25 pm
cnckeith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:00 pm
centroid467 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:24 am

It might be harder to find an industrial joystick with octagonal gating but it is really easy to find arcade sticks with interchangeable gates. To me, the main challenge would be writing the PLC such that two jog button inputs translate to the appropriate diagonal jog button input.
we already have diagonal on the VCP, one button for each diagonal. so that is not an issue , no need for two inputs on at same time. :D
I'm just saying that it might be easier to have two inputs on at the same time than to find a suitable 8 switch joystick.
There are lots of joysticks for two axis moving, like in any RC control, or here is an example of a profile measuring machine in my job. But these are analogue, more throw, more speed, or in RC controls more travel speed depending on what is controlled.

Uwe
Attachments
20240305_104416.jpg
20240305_104412.jpg
suntravel

Post by suntravel »

Got my additional hardware and made a quick CAD for a 3D printed enclosure of the USB BOB.

Using 3 60mm MPGs for the axis, and cheap buttons with external LED to test this out for my mill...

Uwe
Attachments
Pg5i81EcCG.png
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

suntravel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:10 pm There are lots of joysticks for two axis moving, like in any RC control, or here is an example of a profile measuring machine in my job. But these are analogue, more throw, more speed, or in RC controls more travel speed depending on what is controlled.

Uwe
Uwe, I already asked about analog joysticks and got pushback. These would be ideal as you could go in any direction you want and also vary the feed rate at the same time. I'm sure this would require a lot more programming on the backend if it's even possible at all with the existing PLC.

Centroid recommends simple 4 way "switch" joysticks, off or on, which are not really joysticks but just switches actuated one at a time. My plan is to just add lighted pushbuttons ganged together like the buttons on the VCP for direction this way I can add diagonal moves as well.
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

ShawnM wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 am
suntravel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:10 pm There are lots of joysticks for two axis moving, like in any RC control, or here is an example of a profile measuring machine in my job. But these are analogue, more throw, more speed, or in RC controls more travel speed depending on what is controlled.

Uwe
Uwe, I already asked about analog joysticks and got pushback. These would be ideal as you could go in any direction you want and also vary the feed rate at the same time. I'm sure this would require a lot more programming on the backend if it's even possible at all with the existing PLC.

Centroid recommends simple 4 way "switch" joysticks, off or on, which are not really joysticks but just switches actuated one at a time. My plan is to just add lighted pushbuttons ganged together like the buttons on the VCP for direction this way I can add diagonal moves as well.
8-way and '360' joystick switches are available. I have ordered some 4 way switch joystick switches which look like the limiter plate can be removed to make it a '360' or fab an 8-way limiter plate for diagonal moves.
suntravel

Post by suntravel »

If analoge joysticks are not supported, I prefer wheels and buttons for speed multiplication...

My first attempt is printing now with BOB mounted on the back of te panel for easy wiring.

Uwe
Attachments
Panel.png
zomUssmM1j.png