CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Importing a DXF

Post by Birleycnc »

Hi Newbie here!

About 43 years ago I first discovered CNC machining. Manually programming with all that G code stuff. Only did it for a bit before moving on to other Engineering tasks.

Well a friend of mine has just bought a CNC mill in NZ and has asked me to help out as I'm visiting for a couple of months. The mill is a Chinese one and is controlled by Centroid. So I decided to down load the free Off Line Mill and Lathe Intercon in order to practice the conversational programming away from the mill.

First off I'm very impressed with the SW having worked through a few examples. So easy to programme parts without the need to CAD stuff up. Brilliant! :)

Now I have hit a stumbling block. :shock: I cannot seem to import a DXF generated in Solid Edge into Intercon.

I have followed the procedure in the manual, but nothing appears. The screen just shows the drawing border but no part.

I can import an existing DXF from the training directory that comes with the software, that works fine, so I presume its the DXF generated by Solid Edge.
I have tried different versions of the DXF including the most current compatible with Intercon.
I have also tried changing the colour of the lines in the DXF, but its not that as even if the line was the same colour as the background I should be able to pick a zero. But I cannot. But the change of colour made no difference.
Have also tried Auto zooming.
Its a 2D DXF.

So any ideas? As I say I suspect its one of the million settings in Solid Edge. But would really appreciate a steer.

Thanking any useful replies in advance.

Regards
Jeff
Birleycnc
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: Importing a DXF

Post by Birleycnc »

An Update.

I did finally manage to get a DXF to load. Lot's of trial and error. But for those with Solid Edge the steps are:
  • Create 3D Part
    Save as Draft file
    Right click on view and select 'Convert to 2D View' - you get a warning about how it cant be undone. It's not essential but make a copy of the view on the same Draft file to allow view update for possible design mods.
    Right click on the converted image and select 'Draw in View'
    Now here is the bit that took me ages to figure out, you need to select the whole view using the mouse to enclosed a box over the image to select it!
    Then go the the top ribbon, File and save as select format as DXF I used version 14
After all that I found that he software has a limited number of lines, I think the limit is 22 lines!! That was a tad disappointing.

Hope the post helps somebody.

Regards
Jeff
suntravel
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

There is no 22line limit.

If you post the dxf I will look at the problem.

Uwe
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

If you are running the free offline version of CNC12 , then there is a limit to the number of Intercon lines allowed. It has nothing to do with the DXF conversion. You need to purchase the offline key to process more lines.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

post the dxf file.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html