Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New App! The Free Centroid CNC PC Tuner has been released.

Post by adthelad »

Hi,

I used this app today when setting up a fresh PC. Out of interest I compared this to TB309 and also worked through that document, checking if the proper settings had been applied.

I noticed the following differences:

Step 11 of TB309 - The windows messages were still enabled.
Step 12 - User account control was still at the default settitng (one notch below always notify).
Step 14 - Windows defender firewall was still switched on.
Step 25B - It looks like the installer did step 24A automatically. On my PC it was possible to do step 25B as well, even with step 24A showing 'Off' for energy efficient ethernet. I am not sure if it is redundant to do 25B as well.

Please let me know if you recommend still following the steps above from TB309 which look like they are not performed automatically by the CNC tuner app.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

adthelad wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:15 pm Hi,

I used this app today when setting up a fresh PC. Out of interest I compared this to TB309 and also worked through that document, checking if the proper settings had been applied.

Step 12 - User account control was still at the default settitng (one notch below always notify).
Step 25B - It looks like the installer did step 24A automatically. On my PC it was possible to do step 25B as well, even with step 24A showing 'Off' for energy efficient ethernet. I am not sure if it is redundant to do 25B as well.

Please let me know if you recommend still following the steps above from TB309 which look like they are not performed automatically by the CNC tuner app.
hi, thanks for the feedback. checking into it now.

and yes, TB309 still stands
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
megyer
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by megyer »

Hello,

Thank for the feedback. Steps 11, 12, 25A, and 25B are not automatically handled by the current version of the Centroid CNC PC Tuner. Specifically addressing each of the steps you mentioned:

We are currently unable to automatically have the PC Tuner set the security and maintenance messages shown below and detailed in Step 11:
Security and Maintenance.PNG
The code to handle Step 12 has recently been added and should be available in the next version of the PC Tuner.

Step 14 is working as intended. Instead of turning off the Windows Defender Firewall entirely, the PC Tuner adds exceptions to the list of apps allowed to communicate through the firewall. This is accomplished by the cncm, cncp, cncr, and cnct exceptions shown in the list below:
Firewall Exceptions.PNG
Firewall Exceptions.PNG (9.66 KiB) Viewed 9670 times
If Step 25A has already been handled by the installer, but it is still possible to do Step 25B, I would recommend making sure both steps are completed as Step 25B actually prevents the operating system from turning off the network adapter to save power

To avoid later confusion, we'll look into adding a link to TB309 and recommending that the user double checks specific settings to make sure everything's working as expected.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

megyer wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:35 pm

Hello,

Thank for the feedback. Steps 11, 12, 25A, and 25B are not automatically handled by the current version of the Centroid CNC PC Tuner. Specifically addressing each of the steps you mentioned:

We are currently unable to automatically have the PC Tuner set the security and maintenance messages shown below and detailed in Step 11:
Security and Maintenance.PNG

The code to handle Step 12 has recently been added and should be available in the next version of the PC Tuner.

Step 14 is working as intended. Instead of turning off the Windows Defender Firewall entirely, the PC Tuner adds exceptions to the list of apps allowed to communicate through the firewall. This is accomplished by the cncm, cncp, cncr, and cnct exceptions shown in the list below:
Firewall Exceptions.PNG

If Step 25A has already been handled by the installer, but it is still possible to do Step 25B, I would recommend making sure both steps are completed as Step 25B actually prevents the operating system from turning off the network adapter to save power

To avoid later confusion, we'll look into adding a link to TB309 and recommending that the user double checks specific settings to make sure everything's working as expected.
thanks for the details.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

megyer wrote:Step 14 is working as intended. Instead of turning off the Windows Defender Firewall entirely, the PC Tuner adds exceptions to the list of apps allowed to communicate through the firewall. This is accomplished by the cncm, cncp, cncr, and cnct exceptions
That is good to see.

I hope that Centroid production will begin using the PC Tuner, instead of TB309 (or will begin using an updated version of TB309).

The M400 console I installed a couple weeks ago -- apparently configured at the factory in late November -- still came with Windows Defender Firewall turned off, and no exception in place for cncm.exe. That is just a ticking time bomb for a support call.
Esel
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Esel »

Hello,

I tried the tuner app on two different "pc"s and it's shutting down while checking the CPU Hardware and Software requirements. It shows the test working but at some point the app just disappears

If I run "prepare Windows for "centroid cnc control use" all the boxes are getting checked.
The Configure Notepad++ thing shows a green tick for its install but a red cross for the install of the Ncnetic plugin.

The AIO that I bought for the Retrofit is the following, with a Benchmark of 1494
https://www.christ-electronic-shop.de/i ... s-21,5.pdf
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=2054

The "household"laptop where I'm writing from is a dell latitude 5590 with a Benchmark of 1925
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=2955

Any Ideas? Is there additional Data i could provide?
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Are they set to US number format and keyboard?

Uwe
Esel
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by Esel »

suntravel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:20 pm Are they set to US number format and keyboard?

Uwe
No, I thought it gets set up with the tuning app. I'll try that right away!

Ps. It worked :)
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

******* update 4-10-24 *********v1.3.0 is now available.

fixed notepadd++ installation for Windows 11 changes

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _1.3.0.zip

found on

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... loads.html