CNC Control System Serial Number: 0074
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Cnc12 missing bottons & Overall Turn Ratios

Post by Blaze »

Hello all,

I am happy to say I have made monumental progress in connecting my machine. I am now able to see the "light at the end of the tunnel," and that put a smile on my face. I do have two questions I would like to ask. Hopefully, it's okay to list all of them here in one post.

The first is missing buttons on the CNC12 screen.

I have my rotary "A" and my swing head "B" axes programmed as the 5th and 6th axes, respectively, on Axis Configuration. However, buttons for these axes are missing on the CNC12 screen. How can I add these buttons so they show on the screen, which will allow me to control those axes manually without using the MDI?
Motor axis configuration screen.jpg
CNC12.jpg
Swing head motor.jpg

2nd question: Z and Y motors overall turn ratio

With my motor steps/rev set to 1600. My ball screw turn ratio should be 5 for my Z-axis. The belt transmission from the motor to the ball screen appears to be the same diameter or tooth per gear, so the ratio will be 1.1, or (5X1) = 5 for my machine's overall turn ratio.
Zmotor gear .jpg
Ball screw.jpg

The Y-axis motor transmission ratio is 5:1, or 5 5 for my machine's overall turn ratio..
Y axis motor Ratio.jpg

The question is: I don't know if this is a metric ball screw. If these overall turn ratios for my Z and Y motors don't matter, then those will be the values I should set on the Axis configuration screen. Am I correct?
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Cnc12 missing bottons & Overall Turn Ratios

Post by ShawnM »

First, the buttons. You can easily go into the VCP skin file and add any button you want in any location you want. These buttons will control your 5th and 6th axis. Have a look at the VCP manual and it'll help you modify your skin file for your setup. The buttons wont show up by default. Here's a link to the VCP users manual and how to modify your skin file. I'd suggest making a "copy" of your current file and then modify that. If you royally screw it up you can start again with a known good file.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

As for your turns ratio, that's an easy calculation if you don't know the pitch of the screw. And these numbers are probably the most important numbers in the entire system to get right. For the record, it'll never be an exact number but very, very close to that number. I see so many systems with exact, whole numbers like 5 or 2.54 and I just know they aren't accurate. Maybe if you are cutting wood that's close enough. Mine carry out to 6 decimal places.

Start with the Coarse and Fine DRO adjustment documents. You start with a tape measure and finish with a dial indicator. There's a whole formula to get it dialed in. Start with a rough number and slowly dial it in. It's all explained in these docs.

https://centroidcncforum.com/download/file.php?id=8719

https://centroidcncforum.com/download/file.php?id=8718