CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

CNC12 v5.0+ Draft Operator's Manual Mill/Lathe

Post by cncjenna »

Hi everyone!

We have been hard at work here at Centroid to update and improve the CNC12 v5.0+ Operator's Manual for Mill and Lathe.

Draft versions of the new manual are currently available for download. We are looking for community feedback, to hopefully get some of your perspectives on what you would like to see in the manual, or sections that could be improved upon.

Here is a link to the most recent draft of the v5.0+ Draft CNC12 Mill Operator's Manual
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

and here is a link to the most recent draft of the v5.0+ Draft CNC12 Lathe Operator's Manual

Be sure to refresh your browser to see the latest version, as we have been updating these pdfs regularly.

Please leave your comments below and we will do our best to incorporate them into the document, and until next time, happy machining!

EDIT: As of 6/7/23, a new draft version of the manual has been uploaded to our existing link
Last edited by cncjenna on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Re: CNC12 v5.0+ Draft Operator's Manual Mill/Lathe

Post by cnckeith »

and a draft of the updated VCP Users manual is now live for comment as well.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Mill manual, page 12:
Note: When working with absolute values, the XYZ axes are used. When working with incremental values, the XYZ
axes are replaced by the UVZ axes. This is because the XYZ axes reference the zero value of the workpiece, while
the UVW axes reference the zero value of the machine itself.
Huh?

On a mill, the linear axes are X, Y and Z. Incremental/absolute and workpiece/machine coordinates do not enter into it.

Secondary linear axes are conventionally named U (if movement is parallel with X); V (if movement is parallel with Y); and W (if movement is parallel with Z).

On a lathe control, the letters U and W (and maybe V, once the software supports a Y axis) are used for incremental distances, but (1) that is a subject for G code programming, not understanding machine motions, and (2) this is the mill control manual anyway.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In the M&G code table, and the chapter 13 descriptions, the manual should not imply that M30 is special or unique to Intercon.

It is widely used as an "end of program" code. Once, its function was to rewind the spool of tape containing the CNC program.

Centroid controls have never needed a rewind code, or any other special code to mark the end of a program; but because many CAD/CAM postprocessors conventionally post an M30 code, it is a useful vehicle for custom operations that any given control installation might need. Centroid added it to the Intercon post for that reason: it was already an established standard.

The description in chapter 13 is good. I would just revise the short description in the M&G code table to say "end of program" (and not specify Intercon); and I would revise/expand the chapter 13 description to note that many CAM systems, including Intercon, post an M30 code at the end of the program.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Both manuals, section "1.10 How to unlock software features or unlock your Control"

This is no longer how software unlocks work. Needs to be replaced with a description of how to import a license file.
RogDC
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by RogDC »

Will there be a router manual or will the Mill manual be used for the Routers?

If the mill manual will be used for the router, it may be a good idea to have a router/plasma table graphic for the X-Y-Z movements. It may make the X-Y-Z orientation for a gantry machine a little more clear than someone not familiar with a mill.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Great job on the new manuals, good improvement from the old ones.

I like that more hyperlinks are implemented.

Lathe:

6.2 RTG is from the mill

9 Group of G-Codes are in the table, but not described

11.3 "NOTE: For Acorn and AcornSix users, please use the Acorn Wizard to change parameters. Some parameters are
required to be changed within the Wizard and can cause issues if changed through the Machine Parameters menu."

List of parameters not set by the Wizard?

11.3.113 Parameter 160 – Enhanced ATC

This is for mill ATC

Mill:

looks ok for me

Uwe
cncjenna

Post by cncjenna »

cncsnw wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:09 pm Both manuals, section "1.10 How to unlock software features or unlock your Control"

This is no longer how software unlocks work. Needs to be replaced with a description of how to import a license file.
Thank you for all of your notes! I have added them to our To Do list
cncjenna

Post by cncjenna »

suntravel wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:51 am Great job on the new manuals, good improvement from the old ones.

I like that more hyperlinks are implemented.

Lathe:

6.2 RTG is from the mill

9 Group of G-Codes are in the table, but not described

11.3 "NOTE: For Acorn and AcornSix users, please use the Acorn Wizard to change parameters. Some parameters are
required to be changed within the Wizard and can cause issues if changed through the Machine Parameters menu."

List of parameters not set by the Wizard?

11.3.113 Parameter 160 – Enhanced ATC

This is for mill ATC

Mill:

looks ok for me

Uwe
Thanks for the notes Uwe! They have been added to our To Do list
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Following recently posted in Keith's v5.02 release thread
cnckeith wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:38 pm
Nigelo wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:08 am
cnckeith wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:59 pm hello.
when CNC12 is set to inches, Intercon outputs Inches.
when CNC12 is set to metric, Intercon outputs millimeters
Thanks Keith that's taken as read but perhaps I was not sufficiently clear.

Lathe CNC12 setup and calibrated in inches
Intercon setup in inches as this is my usual requirement and the default for above

To machine the ocassional one-off metric jobs, change Intercon setup to metric as follows and all works fine as expected:

Intercon Setup.JPG

However, we can also toggle (using spacebar) individual Intercon job headers from Inches to metric and vice versa as follows:

Intercon Job Inches to Metric.JPG

There is no warning, either within Intercon or in the Manual, that this does NOT change G20 to G21 or vice versa in the generated G-code as could be expected.

Since my original post, I note this is not restricted to CNC12 v5.x but was also there in Offline back to v4.18 and live back to at least v4.82 on both Lathe and Mill.

Could you therefore consider a small advisory in the manual's Intercon section and/or perform an updated G20/G21 in output G-code to be consistent where the Intercon Header Units differ from the Intercon Setup. Alteratively, a warning to the user in the form of a popup when toggling the Header Units might be appropriate.

This is not meant as any kind of criticism, just my observations in case it helps - or my 2 cents as you say.

ps: Thanks again for the excellent work with v5.02 which installed without probs on all 3 of my machines

thanks for the clarification, i did not realize you were changing it in the header, will look into it. -k

Depending on Keith's further review, an advisory in both Mill and Lathe manuals seems appropriate.

Otherwise excellent job on both drafts - Very useful improvement

Nigel
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel