Fusion 360 cam

A place to discuss and ask questions about all things Machining for Mills, Lathes, Laser, and Routers

Moderator: cnckeith

Setlab
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Fusion 360 cam

Post by Setlab »

I'm putting the free version of fusion 360 on my computer this weekend only to use its cam feature. Does anyone have the paid version or know what additional features are unlocked?

So far I've gathered there are no rapid moves or tool changers in the free version of fusion 360. Is that it? Is the free version only 2.5D?
Fueler1
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 101981

Re: Fusion 360 cam

Post by Fueler1 »

Setlab

Post by Setlab »

That's awesome! Thank you. My Google searches were going in circles before.

What's the effect of no probing for Centroid users? Is that like probing your tool height/diameter after each tool change? I can't think of a probing operation right now besides tool checks, are there any other reasons to have a cam software control probing? I'm still learning cnc12 and tweeking mechanical stuff on my machine yet, but all of our probing for setting part locations and tool heights is done at the machine in cnc12 right?
CNCMaryland
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

You can do all your probing with the Acorn. The only limitations with the free version is tool changes, and rapids.
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The probe functions of CNC12 and all other machine controllers are just G-code programs. So, you can run them manually, like while setting up parts, or they can be included in the part program.

Probing while machining is useful for determining if the previous operation completed successfully; adjusting machining to fit features on variable parts like castings; or checking features for correct size and automatically adjusting a finish pass. I'm sure there are many more, and I'm equally sure you will never use this capability as a hobbyist.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Fueler1
CNC Control System Serial Number: 101981

Post by Fueler1 »

What Tom said.
I have read the literature but have not tried the 360 probing.
In process probing is likely useful for mass production with a tool changer and robots loading though I still don't grasp the concept.
As I have neither I don't worry about it.
I use the centroid or swissi probe processes to set everything up and have at it.
If the part is fubar I cuss the programmer (guess who) adjust accordingly and start over.
In the beginning I cussed... a lot.
After you get your feet wet you will likely want to do the yearly deal.
Merry Christmas
Setlab

Post by Setlab »

tblough wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:12 am The probe functions of CNC12 and all other machine controllers are just G-code programs. So, you can run them manually, like while setting up parts, or they can be included in the part program.

Probing while machining is useful for determining if the previous operation completed successfully; adjusting machining to fit features on variable parts like castings; or checking features for correct size and automatically adjusting a finish pass. I'm sure there are many more, and I'm equally sure you will never use this capability as a hobbyist.
That's pretty neat, using your mill mid program like a cmm. Sounds like something I should get familiar with on how it's used and when to use it at the least.
Last edited by Setlab on Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
trnsfrmr33

Post by trnsfrmr33 »

I'm a novice at Gcode, but wouldn't it be possible to output all the operations separately and then just combine them into one text file with the tool changes inserted in between? I feel like the Gcode is the lowest common denominator here.. not like Fusion360 really runs the machine.

Hopefully others can chime in and correct my layman's take on this. (for my own part this solution would be great for my workflow and future spindle purchase)
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

That's the beauty of G-code (RS-274). It's just text. It can be created with and edited with any text processor like Notepad that comes with Windows. there are other test editors like EditPlus, and Notepad++ that you can download. They are just text editors like Notepad, but with better user interfaces and built-in color coding to help keep you from making mistakes and make coding easier.

You can have a library of g-code programs that you can combine into a single larger program, or you can create a top-level program that calls subprograms - this lets you keep each of the program parts in separate files.

Some g-code commands like G0 (rapid move) are "modal" meaning they remain in effect until another command of the same class cancels it. In this case, a G1 (feedrate move) would cancel the G0 and from that point forward, all moves would be at a given feedrate until the G1 was replaced with a different command.

The CNC12 manuals list all of the G and M codes available in the CNC12 intrepreter along with a description of what they do and the parameters they accept. You will find it useful to keep a copy handy and look at the code F360 generates. Writing some simple programs using Intercon and then looking at the G-code generated from that is also very helpful.
Attachments
The NIST RS274NGC Interpreter - Version 3.pdf
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.