Speeds & Feeds Sanity Check

A place to discuss and ask questions about all things Machining for Mills, Lathes, Laser, and Routers

Moderator: cnckeith

RJS100
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Speeds & Feeds Sanity Check

Post by RJS100 »

I just completed my PM833-TV milling machine conversion. Having no past CAM experience, I am taking an online CAM course from Titan CNC Acadamy (https://academy.titansofcnc.com/categor ... ing-blocks). This is a step by step course to CAM 10 different items to teach basic CAM skills. This class assumes the generated g-code will then be run on a professional grade mill with specific Kennametal tooling.

My setup consists of a handful of YG1 end mills, spot drills and a Tormach Superfly that will be powered by my 800 lbs. 2HP benchtop mill. I retained all the tool paths from the lesson and adjusted only the speeds & feeds. I used the G-Wizzard calculator to the best of my knowledge to establish the correct speeds and feeds for 6061 aluminum.

Would it be possible for someone to take a cursory glance at the speeds and feeds in this Fusion 360 CAM file to so see if they appear to look reasonable?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1h3btwwb6g80 ... 2.f3z?dl=0

Please disregard the facing operation as I have already completed this step. Also, please disregard the last operation (rigid tapping) as I have not setup the machine for this and do not even know if it will have enough torque to perform rigid tapping.

Thanks... Richard
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Re: Speeds & Feeds Sanity Check

Post by suntravel »

Looks ok.

If you have a spindle encoder rigid tapping is easy, but for this small size I would use 2000rpm for aluminum.

Minimum rpm should be 640 or 800 rpm.

Uwe
RJS100
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by RJS100 »

Hello Uwe,

Thanks so much for making time to look this over. Very much appreciated!! With respect to the rigid tapping, I do have an encoder connected and it is working fine. I have not gone through the setup in the Wizard for rigid tapping yet. Once this is all setup, I will run the rigid tapping tool path.

One question, the Titan CNC Acadamy uses a form tap at 1000 rpms. You mentioned tapping at 2000 rpm. Do you think I can use a standard tap?

Thanks again...Richard
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Sure, that´s no problem with a quality tap.

Uwe