How to set tool touch off position

A place to discuss and ask questions about all things Machining for Mills, Lathes, Laser, and Routers

Moderator: cnckeith

Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: How to set tool touch off position

Post by Muzzer »

Swissi's prove app allows you to specify if the XY positioning needs to be manually set (for larger tools). Otherwise it can default to use the position set in the G30 coords table. If like me you have a fixed auto tool setter (TTS), that's used for all tools apart from face mills. Once the setter is fixed in position, you can jog over it and then read off / save the machine coords and save them into your G30 table in the CNC12 setup screen.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Muzzer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:12 am ......If like me you have a fixed auto tool setter (TTS), that's used for all tools apart from face mills. Once the setter is fixed in position, you can jog over it and then read off / save the machine coords and save them into your G30 table in the CNC12 setup screen.
This is how I set it up also. I dont use Swissi's app "yet" but for all my tools minus the spoilboard tool the fixed location in G30 works perfect. My fixed tool touch off is mounted on the X axis so it moves with the axis. To measure a tool after a tool change only the Y axis moves to locate the tool over the the optical touch off. If you're confused this router has a wider X travel than the front to back of the Y axis. It's a Holz-Her router that is wider than longer and it was originally built for processing cabinet doors.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

A simple offset calculating the tool diameter will not work for automatic touch off if you have facemills like this one:

https://www.fraisertools.com/de/hobelfr ... rnado.html

Then you need to index the spindle or try different positions in an arc around the toolsetter till the longest Z length ( tip of one insert ) is touched off.

But easy to write a macro for this case.

Uwe
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

For those who have fly cutters and use them often a custom macro with some sort of offset for the large diameter of the cutter could certainly be beneficial with a fixed tool touch off. I use mine maybe 2-3 times a year and dont need to measure the offset or store the data in a tool library. I simply use my movable tool touch off on top of my spoil board and place it under one of the carbide cutters.
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

If you have a large face mill, the distance between insert tips may well exceed the diameter of the TTS, in which case it's likely you would struggle to automate the process consistently. So when I set these up, I simply jog the table to position the insert. As I said, swissi's app allows you to specify if a particular tool number needs manual positioning.