instaled THC now loosing steps

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Bak
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: instaled THC now loosing steps

Post by Bak »

same panel acorn is on 20amp 120 breaker and plasma is on 60amp 240
same conduit im going to try an extention cord thought of last night cant hurt right
Attachments
report_54453814CA16-0616237317_2024-03-17_04-27-31.zip
(7.01 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Bak

Post by Bak »

tryed 120 extention caord no change but notised the hooks test are consistant if it was noise would this be? am i chasing my tail
Attachments
IMG_3567.jpg
Joey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by Joey »

Good point. Looks pretty consistent.

Check out the attached PDF.

Can you plasma cut a 4-10 inch circle and scribe the same circle beside the plasma cut circle to compare
Attachments
1 (1).pdf
(71.61 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Bak

Post by Bak »

added pics and video of a 4in cricle cut and scrib and a 10in
Joey

Post by Joey »

Brett

Do you have a Grounding Wire Connecting the Gantry to the Table frame?

Throw a heavy gauge Wire on that connects to the Gantry then runs thru the energy chain and Connects to the Table.

Jeff colden sent me some pictures of his gantry connection to the Table.
Resized_20240319_120858_1710864599768.jpg
Resized_20240319_120844_1710864601161.jpg
Resized_20240319_120913_1710864599068.jpg
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

i just read this whole post first thing i see were the power supply for 34 steppers
if it the blue one in middle that not going to work 4 34 steppers you Gona need 20 amp supply .
you can use switcher or Troidl from automation technology website you need at least 48 volt steppers do not need precision regulated supply only the motor use that supply . the controller and thc use separate ones .
second all motor wire need be shielded connect them only 1 end in controller not motor side . the Hypertherm cpc cable need shield cable Hypertherm cable each par shielded grounded on the plasma cutter end

When i build plasma controllers i use 1 Neg dc buss all neg dc goes to that buss and does not connect to frame ground only frame ground is wall plug and ground rood . my shields connect to the neg dc buss aka float grounds of shields .
never connect any shields to each end only 1 side . i shield the step direction wires also . make sure your cutter ground clamp is fine
when plasma fires the table positive ground . also run ground wire to each access z x y 12 gauge or 10 ga this will connect the frame to each axes not use the slides as contact

you also need to have the dro match movement of the z x y axis then you need to increase speed of axis 1 at time in wizard jog max speed till steppers miss steps then back off 30 percent for safety do the same for acceleration setting . this insures you never miss a step . this is the max speed your table designee can do . rapids between cuts will use the max speed in wizard

what size are the 34 steppers ? and are you use a 3 to 1 reduction with 1 inch pinion gear . that recommended ratio for stepper

i have list of controller and plasma table parts on my fb page cnc plasma table builders that combination runs well with many users including me have used . i see no reason this setup should not work you clearly have a motion problem . Hypertherm is fast cutter . if you using a scribe at slow speed
all works fine then speed up movement see what happens . your most likely posting higher speeds with plasma cutter your power supply cant do the amps necessary and it regulated supply . you need to fix that first . post some videos on my fb page so we can see the problem little better
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

i watched few videos you posted your cutting in wrong direction in sheet cam check the box reverse box inside holes ccw some your pierce delays seam fast

what i cant tell is there motor reduction on Y axis
what size motor your running .
i Gona guess they 600 oz 34 4 wire motors they going to draw 5 amps each . i usably recommend 8 wire motors wired series wiring they draw less 900 oz 34 8 wire draw about 3.5 amp 3 to 1 reduction it should rapid about 1000 ipm with 48 v i run 72 volt gecko drives 20 amp supply . motion smoother with geck morph drives table rapids 1200 with .01 acceleration . but now theirs some new servo out there ac there drives just need power . lot new stuff . that supply you have only 10 amp max your doing a circle your using all 4 motors at once pulling full power most likely draw voltage down motors get out sync or not step correctly i seen this before Gecko website has very good motor drive and power information
Joey

Post by Joey »

Jeff there are only 3 Motors on the Table currently.

I think number one is to Connect the Gantry and Table.