Torchmate accumove 2 conversion

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Digger873
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Torchmate accumove 2 conversion

Post by Digger873 »

I have a torchmate growth series 4x4 plasma table that I bought used along with the original accumove controller, and a brand new accumove 2 controller, 6 amp stepper motors, new z axis assembly, THC, and all new cables in the packages from Lincoln. How could I go wrong, right? :( :(

I say this because I am trying to use what I can. The motors are 6 amp nema 23 motors, with a 2.8 amp driver leaving them waayyy under powered and the table is unusable above 100 ipm. Lots of lost steps, no home switches or squaring of the gantry of any kind.This was a known problem with the early torchmates so my thoughts are, buy drivers and power supplies that match the motors,(they are 400 something oz in motors). The table uses a fast twist lead screw with a anti backlash nut that will probably have to be replaced in the future with a ball screw or RP system. Cant get any information from torchmate about the lead of the screws, so I will just have to figure that out on my own.

So my first question is to hopefully someone smarter than me when it comes to stepper motors, is do you think the motors will work with the heavier duty drivers at the higher amperage until I can replace with closed loop or servos?

Second, in building a control box I will have the 24 volt PS for my Acorn, and 4 48v x 7.5 amp PS's for the drivers. One of which will be turned down to 3 amps for the Z axis, and the other 3 at 6 amps for rest. My understanding is to figure 75% of the total amperage possible, which would be 16 Amps for the motors, plus whatever amps the acorn PS pulls. (I couldnt find that info). With that math a single 20 amp circuit should be able to handle it but it is awful close to the max and I dont really like that. So should I run a 30 amp circuit and split it in the panel with 2 15s or run a single 20 for the motors and a 20 for the Acorn PS.

Third can the Acorn PS power a couple of 5 amp lasers or should I stick with my phone charger PS for them.
Thanks

Pictures at this link
https://shantzconstruction-my.sharepoin ... g?e=O4UHng
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Torchmate accumove 2 conversion

Post by cnckeith »

looks like an ok starter frame to rework the system, lots of details in the photos to fix and get right to have good performance though.

I would build all new CNC control box and use Closed Loop Leadshine Stepper motors or better yet Clearpath Stepper Killers and you could run the entire control box off 110 vac at 20 amps. the open loop motors on the machine are not going to cut it.

- Never use the Acorn Power supply for anything other than powering the Acorn
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

Digger873 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:33 pm I have a torchmate growth series 4x4 plasma table that I bought used along with the original accumove controller, and a brand new accumove 2 controller, 6 amp stepper motors, new z axis assembly, THC, and all new cables in the packages from Lincoln. How could I go wrong, right? :( :(

I say this because I am trying to use what I can. The motors are 6 amp nema 23 motors, with a 2.8 amp driver leaving them waayyy under powered and the table is unusable above 100 ipm. Lots of lost steps, no home switches or squaring of the gantry of any kind.This was a known problem with the early torchmates so my thoughts are, buy drivers and power supplies that match the motors,(they are 400 something oz in motors). The table uses a fast twist lead screw with a anti backlash nut that will probably have to be replaced in the future with a ball screw or RP system. Cant get any information from torchmate about the lead of the screws, so I will just have to figure that out on my own.

So my first question is to hopefully someone smarter than me when it comes to stepper motors, is do you think the motors will work with the heavier duty drivers at the higher amperage until I can replace with closed loop or servos?
Yes You will certainly get much better performance with a proper sized drive for your motors. Your current drives are way underpowered for the motors. Check out leadshine stepper drives. This will get you better performance with what you have until you upgrade

Second, in building a control box I will have the 24 volt PS for my Acorn, and 4 48v x 7.5 amp PS's for the drivers. One of which will be turned down to 3 amps for the Z axis, and the other 3 at 6 amps for rest. My understanding is to figure 75% of the total amperage possible, which would be 16 Amps for the motors, plus whatever amps the acorn PS pulls. (I couldnt find that info). With that math a single 20 amp circuit should be able to handle it but it is awful close to the max and I dont really like that. So should I run a 30 amp circuit and split it in the panel with 2 15s or run a single 20 for the motors and a 20 for the Acorn PS.
20 amp circuit will be more than enough.

Third can the Acorn PS power a couple of 5 amp lasers or should I stick with my phone charger PS for them.
Thanks
the 5v side of the Acorn supply can handle the lasers but it is recommended to only use the Acorn supply for the Acorn.

Pictures at this link
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Thanks Guys,
Cnckieith, Yes It does have few things that need to be upgraded/fixed but I think its a solid start. I really want to use the clearpath servos when I upgrade, thats why I used inexpensive chinese PS's and drivers for now because I am hoping to not be using them that long. I am going to build a completely new control box as lincolns is completely proprietary and unusable.
I misspoke (sound like a politician :D ) about the 5 amp lasers, they are not 5 amp but 5 volts and the power draw is in milliamps. I wont use the acorn PS for it though.
Joey,
I assume you mean a 20 amp 220 volt circuit?
Joey

Post by Joey »

Digger873 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:21 am Thanks Guys,
Cnckieith, Yes It does have few things that need to be upgraded/fixed but I think its a solid start. I really want to use the clearpath servos when I upgrade, thats why I used inexpensive chinese PS's and drivers for now because I am hoping to not be using them that long. I am going to build a completely new control box as lincolns is completely proprietary and unusable.
I misspoke (sound like a politician :D ) about the 5 amp lasers, they are not 5 amp but 5 volts and the power draw is in milliamps. I wont use the acorn PS for it though.
Joey,
I assume you mean a 20 amp 220 volt circuit?

Heck a 120V 20 Amp would be enough. Assuming it's just the Acorn, THC kit, Motors and Drives.
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Yes thats all it is including the laser pointers which are so minimal I dont think they matter.
I have another question though and I am posting everything in this thread so I can keep track.
My torchmate, the instructions said to keep the THC as close to the cutter as possible. Im pretty sure I read the same thing about the centroid
one, but I cant find it again. I am laying out my control box and instructions say, the TX and the RX at least 2" inches apart. So my question is, Should I make another box and mount the TX over by the cutter (other side of the table) or is it ok if I leave it in the control box separated by about 16". I have a simple layout drawing in the pictures link.
Thanks

Joey

Post by Joey »

It is recommended to at least mount the TX board outside of the cabinet.

But as long as the TX board is not right beside the Acorn you should be alright.
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Ok I am up to my elbows in control panel parts and making brackets to mount power supplies. In watching videos of Marty and others I realized
that there are both neutral and ground wires, and Im wondering if the neutral bus should be bonded to the panel enclosure as well as the ground, or if it should be isolated to only neutral wires. This is one area I am kinda fuzzy on.

Im printing din rail mounts for the acorn and relay boards just because it seems like it will be easier but havent found stls for the tx and rx boards yet.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

I learned this morning that the THX and RHX boards are the same dimensions one way as the the acorn board so no need for separate stl. files for them.
Its going to be a good day :D
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Progress! New pictures of the control box. If anyone is interested.
Anybody have any idea on the neutral bus being isolated or not?

Thanks