stepper motor advice

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

cardin3
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7550
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

stepper motor advice

Post by cardin3 »

Hi, I'm new to this upgrade / rebuilding.
I have an old Flashcut cnc plasma table. I have purchased a Centroid Acorn Control. I have it bench tested, and all went well. The machine has open loop steppers on it, and I would like to go with closed loop steppers. I have found what looks to be a good fit from Stepper Line on Amazon. Although they have metric shaft sizes, and the machine components are all inch shaft sizes. I would have to bore out and re-machine. The steppers from Leadshine offer inch size shafts but I'm having difficulty getting any one from leadshine to give me a price. what little I have found online is that the Leadshine are much more expensive. I'm loving the centriod, just having some trouble with the stepper choices. I don't want to waste money or buy the wrong steppers.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: stepper motor advice

Post by ShawnM »

Can you post some model numbers of the units you are looking at? Stepper Online offers a good product at reasonable prices and you should confirm that the Leadshine you are looking to buy are genuine Leadshine drives. If you are buying direct from Leadshine then no worries but there are clones out there. Just make sure and size the motors correctly and buy the best product you can afford. Don't pinch pennies when it comes to motors and drivers, it'll bite you in the rear down the road.
cardin3

Post by cardin3 »

I was on a web site called AMT American Motion Tech. They are supposed to be a Leadshine distributor. I was looking at Model ES-PH23480. It is a nema 34 unit with a stepper driver that takes in 120 volt AC so no separate power supply needed. It's called an "easy servo set" $419.00
The ones on Amazone I was looking at are by Stepperonline.com Nema 34 closed loop stepper motor with driver and cables for $145.00
Big difference in price but if I'm not mistaken the Leadshine is a Servo motor, and the other is a stepper motor. Maybe a servo motor is overkill for a plasma machine?
Mike
cardin3

Post by cardin3 »

I received a reply from Leadshine. The closed loop steppers are not too bad in price. A bit more than Stepperonline. CS-M23480-s for 128.00 each a CS-M22331-L for 107.00 the drivers D1008 for 125.00 and a D508 for 92.00. plus, the cables. the only thing that has me a bit uneasy is Leadshineusa.com web site has a number of grammar errors and misspellings. with the fakes out there, I'm hoping this isn't one of them. The site came from Leadshine...
Where do you folks order from.
Thanks
Mike
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I dont use steppers so maybe someone who does or has used these will be able to give you better advice on a motor choice. Both are good choices though as many users on here have used both. What kind of gear reduction do you have? Please start a Google photo album of the machine so we can see what you are working with.

I would like to stress that speed is far more important than torque when it comes to plasma table motor choices. Of course you need enough torque to move the gantry if it's heavy but just make sure you size the steppers appropriately and have enough gear reduction to get the turns ratio in the sweet spot for plasma. This is very important for cutting if you want good cut quality. All this is covered in the plasma manual so please read and understand it to help you hake the best choice.

As for LeadshineUSA.com I'm assuming that the site is translated from Chinese to English and that's why you see what you see. I've heard of others using the leadshineusa.com website. If in doubt call them in California.