Re Hypertherm Fine Cut torch consumables - FYI

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

GranDan
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 40BD322E7843-0906181181
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re Hypertherm Fine Cut torch consumables - FYI

Post by GranDan »

Running a modified Hypertherm Powermax 30XP. (Which is not necessarily pertinent)
I discovered it is important to have the correct target voltage in the material profile, even if you are using Smart Sense. I had incorrectly assumed the target voltage was ignored with Smart Sense active. Maybe so, but within limits.
Here's what was happening:
I had created custom profiles for the 30XP, using Hypertherm "rated output voltage" - not a good idea I found.
When running the General Purpose nozzle all of my test cuts ran flawlessly - not one glitch. When I would try to run the exact same job with Fine Cut nozzle, the job would just stop within a second or two after the pierce (maybe 3/8" along the cut path). No fault codes or error messages - nothing - just stopped.

Changed target voltage in profile to 78, and problem solved.
Joey
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Re: Re Hypertherm Fine Cut torch consumables - FYI

Post by Joey »

This is due to the ARC Okay from the THC.
Even tho your using Auto Sense , the THC still uses the Target voltage in the profile to determine is the ARC is still on.
The Target voltage was probably well above the actual voltage the THC was reading. If the the Voltage is below %60 percent of the Target then that will be treated like a flame out.

Its best to get a closer Target voltage in the profile for the THC's Arc Okay to work as expected even when using Auto sense.
Auto sense will set a new Target voltage for the Cut but not until full feedrate has been reached.

You could also hook up the ARC OK/ OK TO MOVE signal from the Plasma cutter and that will override the THC's ARC Okay.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Re: Re Hypertherm Fine Cut torch consumables - FYI

Post by ShawnM »

My plasma table has a Powermax 85 and the manual has different cut charts for using the "fine cut" consumables. The cut speeds and target voltages are very different than the standard settings using standard consumables. You'd need to create "fine cut" profiles in the profile manager. Does your Hypertherm manual have these cut charts?