using the smoothing option

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

jcoldon
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

using the smoothing option

Post by jcoldon »

i loaded 5.05 R2 had to cut some 3/4 steel Thc off smoothing on . first cut when the torch reached the curve it sped up ruined my cut . cut speed 30 ipm sped up to 70 ipm . i have video of the screen it do this in dry run mode . i turned smoothing off all is good . why would smoothing speed up a curve cut this is a 3 inch curve . and larger 5 inch curve . any input on this
Joey
CNC12: Yes

Re: using the smoothing option

Post by Joey »

I have seen your Table do this before with your configuration settings. Mostly due to the low steps per rev. You overall turns ration is pretty good.

I would not use smoothing for slower feed rate profiles. So if it's less than 150-200 ipm don't use smoothing.

Smoothing is great for smoothing out fast profiles to be able to run tight arcs faster and not have to slow down and decel as much. Also cuts down on violent accel/decel during cutting.

Jeff I thought you never use smoothing anyways. I'm surprised you used it with a 30ipm profile. But then again the smoothing is always on by default. Maybe that could be changed.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

normally i don't use smoothing. it been a while since i uploaded new bata .. seams new stuff smoothing was selected i did not think much about it .
yes i used in past testing in some heavy nodded art drawings doing 350 ipm.. to be honest i did not see much difference. i usably turn it off . I just caught me buy Suprise when is sped up on curve to double speed . The other thing i like to see i noticed cutting heave plate it necessary to have control of the Z axis i could not change the height of my z axis during cutting . i turned THC off heavy plate pushing torch to limit voltage going to be all over the place thc raised torch to high . second cut was dead on 3/4 plate i was able to fix the first cut with cut recovery that works really nice now .
LiveOff-Road
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3484E422F1CO-1107226648

Post by LiveOff-Road »

As there has been no answer to the issue at hand I will add that I too have experienced the acceleration on arcs.

I am just getting a system converted from M3 that can still run both and am still working out final details so I had not discovered that the problem was related to the smoothing setting. It isbone of the issues that until now has kept me from producing a succesful part. My system/application doesnt really need smoothing so I hope this can X out one more of the demons I have left with the Acorn.

While I dont need smoothing -now- it would be great to know a cause/solution to the issue.

Thank you,
Sean
Joey

Post by Joey »

The Cause for the smoothing speed up with arcs is low resolution Config Settings for The X and Y axis.
Smoothing is great for high-speed cutting. Such as Keeping the speed up on thin material Cuts along with less hard Deceleration around corners. There really isn't a need for Smoothing for a Profile less than 150 IPM. And For Perfect Circles Smoothing should also be turned off.

2000 Counts Per Rev Drives and a 1.02 Overall Turns Ratio is a pretty Low resolution for Smoothing at Low speeds and there wouldn't be any Benefit to smoothing until the Profile speed is closer to 200 IPM.

A quick Fix would be to Set the Drives to 6400 Steps per rev If Possible. Increasing the Overall Turns Ratio will also help.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

plasma sweet spot.png
plasma sweet spot.png (45.37 KiB) Viewed 6765 times
Review the section in the plasma manual that also discusses this at length
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html