Feature request for Ohmic touch

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

BoenBuilt
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Feature request for Ohmic touch

Post by BoenBuilt »

What about adding a feature using one of the relay outputs to override the air solenoid valve in the plasma machine, to blast some air out of the nozzle at safe height on the pierce point to blow any water out of the nozzle and off of the material, shutting off as the nozzle starts to come down for touch off? Call it Ohmic clear or something.

Just getting used to having ohmic, I'm coming from a Plasmacam machine without a water bed that just stalled the Z stepper on the material to set torch 0.

Any thoughts?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Feature request for Ohmic touch

Post by ShawnM »

In the Hypertherm machines that air is controlled by the plasma cutter itself. There is no way to override it that I’m aware of. Maybe the other brand plasma machines have a way to do this but I don’t think it’s possible with Hypertherm. In the past I’ve just used the Test Fire button to clear water or debris out of the tip. You might want to look at adding a float switch to your machine but they are not the best option if you cut a lot of thin material. Keep your water level away from the material as far as possible. Mine is about 3/4” to 1” away.
Joey

Post by Joey »

BoenBuilt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:41 am What about adding a feature using one of the relay outputs to override the air solenoid valve in the plasma machine, to blast some air out of the nozzle at safe height on the pierce point to blow any water out of the nozzle and off of the material, shutting off as the nozzle starts to come down for touch off? Call it Ohmic clear or something.

Just getting used to having ohmic, I'm coming from a Plasmacam machine without a water bed that just stalled the Z stepper on the material to set torch 0.

Any thoughts?
The Current Pierce Macro already clears/purges the nozzle if the torch touch is tripped going into the touch off cycle.

We can modify your M61 Pierce to Post Flow every time before the Touch off cycle? Most likely the Post flow will still be on during the touch off cycle but that shouldn't interfere with anything. In fact it may help that the Post flow is still pushing air through the torch tip while touching off.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I've Updated this Pierce Macro to Post flow just before the touch off cycle. Let me know what you think

Just Drop This M61 pierce macro in your cncm folder and replace the existing file.
Attachments
mfunc61.mac
(903 Bytes) Downloaded 8 times
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

The Hypertherm g3's just have an SMC solenoid valve in it ran by a relay on the main board, wouldn't hurt anything to power it from a Centroid PLC relay with an external supply to blast air without firing the torch.

Machine has a float switch, it will mostly be cutting .090" aluminum, which kind of sucks for a float setup especially after running through most of the sheet and things start to get a little warpy.
ShawnM wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:24 am In the Hypertherm machines that air is controlled by the plasma cutter itself. There is no way to override it that I’m aware of. Maybe the other brand plasma machines have a way to do this but I don’t think it’s possible with Hypertherm. In the past I’ve just used the Test Fire button to clear water or debris out of the tip. You might want to look at adding a float switch to your machine but they are not the best option if you cut a lot of thin material. Keep your water level away from the material as far as possible. Mine is about 3/4” to 1” away.
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

I haven't noticed any difference in touch off if the ohmic is triggered by water or debris before a pierce, it just jogs down to the float switch then triggers the torch at pierce height.

I'll try the new macro you posted and report back.

Thanks!!

Dylan.
Joey wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:14 pm
BoenBuilt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:41 am What about adding a feature using one of the relay outputs to override the air solenoid valve in the plasma machine, to blast some air out of the nozzle at safe height on the pierce point to blow any water out of the nozzle and off of the material, shutting off as the nozzle starts to come down for touch off? Call it Ohmic clear or something.

Any thoughts?
The Current Pierce Macro already clears/purges the nozzle if the torch touch is tripped going into the touch off cycle.

We can modify your M61 Pierce to Post Flow every time before the Touch off cycle? Most likely the Post flow will still be on during the touch off cycle but that shouldn't interfere with anything. In fact it may help that the Post flow is still pushing air through the torch tip while touching off.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

BoenBuilt wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:42 am The Hypertherm g3's just have an SMC solenoid valve in it ran by a relay on the main board, wouldn't hurt anything to power it from a Centroid PLC relay with an external supply to blast air without firing the torch.

Machine has a float switch, it will mostly be cutting .090" aluminum, which kind of sucks for a float setup especially after running through most of the sheet and things start to get a little warpy.
The only thing it'll hurt is the warranty on my $4000 plasma cutter. :D

I cut 40 four by eight sheets of 1/8" aluminum for a job a while back and know all about warpage and heat. I have steel discs from a previous job that I keep on hand to lay on the thin aluminum when I'm cutting it. I use the ohmic with my water table and keep the level low to avoid extra splashing.

We now have a 12k fiber laser and I've seen it curl 3/4" aluminum when it's cutting out parts. :shock:
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

purging air mode is in some other controllers . what happens is the torch fire relay is tripped faster then the torch can fire. Hypertherm designed the this in there xp unit to not trigger to full power in like after i believe 20 mili sec . the other controllers i used with this feature would have a mode it would trigger just before torch would lower to touch off . That way no need to manually do it . but the mode does add to cut time . it down fall using water table .