Good cuts, THC working good, Z loses machine coordinates?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

BoenBuilt
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Good cuts, THC working good, Z loses machine coordinates?

Post by BoenBuilt »

I'll try and get a fresh report this evening, with plot turned on.

Joey wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:36 pm THC Affecting Z Machine coordinates and soft limits will be Addressed in the Next Build.

Your Calibration Plots Looked good from the First Report you posted. I could not find a calibration report in the latest report. I Think in only found 1 plot from your Latest report that had THC Cuts. The rest looked like just Torch float trips?

Did you turn enable Plots for every cut in the Utility Menu?
To enable Plot captures at every cut your UTILITY menu should like the attached snip.
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

Fresh Report with plot.

Fired up the machine, homed it, safe height set to .500". Did a torch touch off, it retracted to .500" in the WCO DRO. Cut a 2x24" rectangle out of .090" aluminum, cut went great THC working fine. After the cut I did another torch touch off and it retracted to .508" in the WCO DRO. If I keep cutting parts the offset gets larger and larger until it basically crashes the torch on touch off past the ohmic and float.

Please let me know what you think, and maybe a timeline for a fix?

Thanks!

Dylan

Joey wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:36 pm THC Affecting Z Machine coordinates and soft limits will be Addressed in the Next Build.

Your Calibration Plots Looked good from the First Report you posted. I could not find a calibration report in the latest report. I Think in only found 1 plot from your Latest report that had THC Cuts. The rest looked like just Torch float trips?

Did you turn enable Plots for every cut in the Utility Menu?
To enable Plot captures at every cut your UTILITY menu should like the attached snip.
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

Must have hit submit before the file finished uploading
Attachments
report_80F5B5D7BE9A-0123236795_2023-06-22_19-26-01.zip
(5.83 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Joey

Post by Joey »

Dylan, I have A Beta build with the THC and machine coordinate update. Id like to send you a file mail link for the build. Can you Private message me a good email to send the link too?
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

Thanks Joey,

Beta build seems to work without a hitch. Safe height after a touch-off always returned to what it was supposed to be through 20 ish parts with THC enabled.

I did not add the custom macro you wrote, wanted to test the build as it was before changing anything else.

I need to work on the float switch setup, with the ohmic wire unplugged I get a good retract distance from the float after a touchoff, but if the ohmic misses during a pierce it doesn't seem to come up to pierce height after triggering the float, even when the material doesn't move. Might be something on my end though. We are looking in to getting the new round mount setup as soon as there's a budget for it, seems like a better way to go.

20+ parts with a whole bunch of small holes only had the ohmic miss once.

Fresh report with a bunch of plots -

Thanks again!

Joey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:57 pm Dylan, I have A Beta build with the THC and machine coordinate update. Id like to send you a file mail link for the build. Can you Private message me a good email to send the link too?
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

Dug deeper into the float switch issue today. It showed up on 5.05 beta and 5.05 beta R1. When the Ohmic is tripped (closed) and it does a touch off using the float switch it doesn't add the right offset to the Z height, causing the nozzle to drag when it tries to cut. If the Ohmic stays open and you do a touch off the offset is applied correctly. I even swapped the proximity out on the float to a normally open just to see if it made a difference but it didn't.

I played around with different offsets for the float in the wizard, from 0 to .5" and if the ohmic is tripped during a touch off it always goes to the same height, if the ohmic is open it hits the float and applies whatever offset I had in the wizard.

I loaded Rev1 today and set soft limits back on the Z and everything seems to be working correctly except the float switch offset. still a little drift on the Z but it seems to just be a few thousandths and doesn't accumulate, I have it set to move the torch up to 1 inch after the last cut and it goes .997 to 1.005 ish after every cycle.

Report attached and video here

Almost there with the 5.05 I think, just this last little hang-up with the float switch offset if Ohmic is tripped. Cuts are beautiful and the THC is working great.

Thanks!

Joey wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:57 pm Dylan, I have A Beta build with the THC and machine coordinate update. Id like to send you a file mail link for the build. Can you Private message me a good email to send the link too?
Attachments
report_80F5B5D7BE9A-0123236795_2023-07-16_16-30-57.zip
(9.84 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thanks for the heads up! Great Video👍
BoenBuilt

Post by BoenBuilt »

Joey wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:45 pm Thanks for the heads up! Great Video👍
Short and to the point 😂 hopefully it's an easy fix.

Have you ever thought to have a probing cycle with the ohmic to set x and y zero? That would be slick.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I've sent an updated beta build to your email.

We have though of that and I can certainly add that to our future feature list. That would be useful on thicker materials.