newbie question clearpath servos

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

bertieboy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: newbie question clearpath servos

Post by bertieboy »

Just reading now about the hard stop 👍🏻
bertieboy
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by bertieboy »

So i get it.... you have to set the torque "cutout" threshold of when the servo hits and then keeps driving till it hits that threshold, obviously happens in only a split second, but i get it. Why do you recomended going the homing switches route? Are they hard to adjust? Cheers
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

bertieboy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:37 am So i get it.... you have to set the torque "cutout" threshold of when the servo hits and then keeps driving till it hits that threshold, obviously happens in only a split second, but i get it. Why do you recomended going the homing switches route? Are they hard to adjust? Cheers
good switches wired correctly (proper switch type, proper cabling, proper connections, proper routing, proper grounding/shielding, etc) are great way to go.

that being said the hard stop homing with clearpath works as well. neither is "better" than the other. choice is up to you.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

I Gona add my 2 cents . First I'm not fan of clear path servo on plasma . reason lot past build used them even few oem i know . had to fight RFI . reason most likely Step direction signals . use of cable quality . no shield . last i saw clear path cables were only twist par not shield . running 5 volt signals long way from controller another problem . it also has been dun with some table builders and the same ones have also chased endless rfi problems to
i believe using high quality Belden machine grade shield cable would help that stuff not cheap.

now in Australia i get a hold rod webster he on my FB page cnc plasma table builders . He uses servos in his builds. that are readily Avabelle in Australia that might be better choice . he lives in Australia very good plasma guy only he linux fan LOL

another good servo Yaskawa sigma