Buying a new plasma cutter

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Buying a new plasma cutter

Post by ShawnM »

Trialnterror wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:13 am I guess I need to look at the manual on the 65 and see if there’s a difference between the 65 and 85 as far as edge start. I guess I’m unsure the meaning behind that as far as if I’m cutting out a sign am I not able to cut inside cuts without doing something? I guess I never heard of that.
A plasma cutter of a certain power can only "pierce" up to a certain thickness but still be able to "cut" thicker. So in this case you have to start the torch off the edge of the material and and then move into the material to cut it. If it were an inside cut you'd have to drill a hole in the thick material and start the torch inside the hole and then move into the material to cut the inside profile. This is only when cutting thick material over the piercing ability of the plasma. This is "edge" start.

This is not a concern at all when cutting thinner material within the parameters of the plasma cutter.

Have a look at the Powermax manual, all the info is in the cut charts.
jcoldon
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

if your budget allows Buy a pm 85 that largest single phase hypertherm above that they are 3 phase
Duty cycle is what you get with the larger unit . there are some faster cut speeds on 85 cutting 16 gauge 45 amps verse 45 xp
the new sync cartridge's have higher pierce high , you can also pierce holes first on cuts . pause motion then change nozzle to new one just for cutting scrape dross off some guys do that instead of drilling holes . sheet cam you can set that up in
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Post by ShawnM »

My Powermax 85 is wired to 3 phase, 240 volts but you can wire it single phase if you want.