Float switch off set

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

jerryk
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Float switch off set

Post by jerryk »

My float switch trips at .040 after tip touch off. I input that in the wizard and after hitting the auto touch off cycle the torch is only .970 above the material instead of the 1.000 it's supposed to be. If I change the float switch off set nothing changes. I even changed the off set to .400 and the torch tip is still at the same height above the material after running the auto touch off cycle again. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
report_20D77882D92D-0819226477_2023-01-18_19-17-25.zip
(6.12 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Joey

Re: Float switch off set

Post by Joey »

Hello Jerry Looks like you're running conductive touch and float switch together. The software will react to whatever touch off device is triggered first. If the Conductive touch trips before the Float switch then the Torch will react to conductive touch and retract via the conductive/ohmic touch offset. I think your not seeing a difference because conductive/ohmic is touching off first and you have the default zero for the offset.
jerryk

Post by jerryk »

Joey got that all working with your help. Ran torch calibration test cut. worked good tip at .060 above material. Ran hook test cut and torch dives into material. It cut the holes fine except they aren't very round. On the line cuts the torch dives hard into the material.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Good news is your plots look great! I see you calibration looked pretty good. The last two plots I saw you must of switched profiles or changed the target voltage. Your voltage was voltage setting was much lower than the calibration and the voltage reading was about the same as your calibration cut.The Z tried lowering the torch to better match the target voltage until it hit the material. Try running a straight line or use auto sense to see what voltage your running at with the profile and adjust the target voltage of that profile.
jerryk

Post by jerryk »

I changed from 1/8 thick material to 20 ga material and in the profile manager it showed 40 amp for 20 gage steel fc and so I lowered the plasma from 45 amp to 40 amp. thought I'd try some thin material to see how well the thc would handle the warpage. I don't know what fc stands for. I'm just cutting cold rolled steel. I take it I need to lower the target voltage? Is it ok to change the amps on the plasma or does that mess up the thc?

Thanks for the help
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

FC = Fine Cut, use this if you are using Hypertherm Fine Cut consumables.

Match the amps on the plasma unit to the Material Profile (cut chart) amps specifications for the material being cut.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

At 20 gauge I'd take the amperage down as low as possible. Make a custom profile at 30amps. I think hypertherms regular consumable cut chart doesn't go that thin. Only the fine cut consumables do. With some adjustments to your profile you can get dialed in. I would go to 30 amps because regular consumables take material away faster compared to fine cut.
jerryk

Post by jerryk »

Thanks for the advice. Maybe my problem of the torch diving was that I selected 20 gage fc and have regular consumables. Just ordered fc consumables. Thanks again!
Joey

Post by Joey »

That was your issue. The fine cut consumables have a much different voltage when running compared to regular consumables. Using a regular consumable with a fine cut profile without adjusting the target voltage is going to result is the torch running into the material right after the pierce
jerryk

Post by jerryk »

Ran one of the trial parts that comes with acorn. using 3/16 steel. Ist part thc was good. 2nd part torch hit material. 3rd part forgot to set xy zero and the torch halfway through program missed the plate and hit the hard stop on z axis. my fault but I had a soft limit of -5 inches and z traveled -6.5 inches to hit hard stop. does the soft limit not work when the torch is touching off in the middle of a run? 4th part ran good. 3 out of 4 parts thc worked good. what could have caused the 2nd part to have the torch dive? same program same settings.
Attachments
report_20D77882D92D-0819226477_2023-01-21_13-33-43.zip
(5.79 MiB) Downloaded 1 time