Retrofit CNC Plasma table

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

ATR Machining
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Retrofit CNC Plasma table

Post by ATR Machining »

Has anyone retrofitted and plasma table from a linux controller to an acorn controller. I'm interested in how well it went, pros and cons. I'm really struggling with the dthciv on this linux. Is the thc on the Acorn easy to configure/set up and does it maintain its settings and work? If I use the acorn system, how are the stepper motors attached to the controller? I didn't see anything for connecting the stepper motors to the acorn in the online products. The way I see it, as for needs is as follows:
1. Acorn CNC Controller Kit
2. Centroid Acorn torch height controller kit.
3. Acorn plasma pro cnc software license.
4. Centroid Plasma wireless MPG CNC control pendant. That looks like a nice addition.
5. All-in-one CNCPC.
Would there be anything else I would need, other than a way to attach the stepper motors?
Any help, thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Al
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Re: Retrofit CNC Plasma table

Post by ShawnM »

Hi Al,
I have not retrofit a linux controller but I did retrofit a ShopSabre CNC plasma from a WinCNC controller over to Acorn and it's nothing short of AMAZING. Once wired, configured and setup properly it's an incredibly reliable THC controller. All cut parameters for a Hypertherm plasma cutter are already in the "profile manager", simply choose your material, thickness and amperage and go. You can toggle THC off and on if needed and it has built in smoothing parameters to slow down or speed up at corners to maintain the perfect THC control.

Your list looks complete other than a DB25 breakout board from Amazon to wire your stepper to. Please share the model number of your steppers and a link to the manual and I can look over it and let you know if you need anything else. I'll point you to the proper wiring diagram from Centroid as well.

Here's an Amazon link for the DB25 you'll need:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R ... d1965d6ae5

Make sure the PC meets the minimum requirements to run CNC12, those specs can be found here:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... guide.html

If you have more questions let us know.
ATR Machining

Post by ATR Machining »

Thanks Shawn,
This machine is 8 years old, so I can't read the model number. The imformation that came with the controller states that they are gecko 620-4 steppers. If I go to gecko's web site it don't list a 620-4, so i don't know where i might find a manual. Something else that acured to me is does the stepper motors require a driver to make them operate? Is this something i could get out of CandCNC control box maybe?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Yes, the motors require a driver. Do you have only motors or only a driver? Please start a google photo album and share pics of the equipment you have. Take pics of any labels as well so we can see what you are working with in order to offer the best solution.
ATR Machining

Post by ATR Machining »

Hi Shawn
Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. I've done some research on what stepper motors I might have, with no success. What I am thinking now, is it a possibility to use these motors with there driver in their control box and use the stepper motor settings that I have used in mach for the acorn system? If I need to replace the steppers and driver I will. I'm not 100% sure on the process for determining the motor size, but have some idea. What are your thoughts? I've taken some photos of may table and included a link below.
Thanks for your help!
Al

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qdPu14fBoLFJUgiGA
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

From your pic the motor is a 60HS100DE06T stepper. Do some homework on them to find the torque rating. Drive and motors are so cheap today it just makes sense to replace them with new. Get similar torque motors with as little inductance that you can find with the same shaft size so your pulleys work with the new motors. To save a few bucks and some time you can just buy new drives for the motors if you want. You can reuse your power supply(s) also if they are enough power. The options are up to you and your budget.

Hope this helps.