Proper grounding

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

scotg1107
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Proper grounding

Post by scotg1107 »

Hello all,
I'm currently in the process of a retrofit on an existing plasma table and I had grounding issues that lead to my last controller (not an acorn) frying so I'm doing everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen this time. Here is my machine specs;

Running acorn rev_4 plasma board w/ black THC RX and THC TX
gecko g251 drives
48 volt power supply
Hypertherm Powermax 85

I've read the Hypertherm bulletin on grounding so I'll be following that my question is my cabinet is plastic, I currently have my 48 dc commons ran to a buss bar, am I correct in thinking that all commons should be tied together (acorn 24 volt common, thc common, 120 ac earth ground, stepper power 48 volt common, 5 volt common, wire shielding ,table ground bus bar)?
Joey

Re: Proper grounding

Post by Joey »

That is correct. I recently saw an issue where A Hypertherm was wired into the cabinet. This caused stepper motor issues and the fix was to get the Hypertherm box's power from outside the Cabinet. Be sure to checks all the grounding and make sure nothing is isolated. This includes the table to the cabinet ground buss bar. Also try and keep higher voltage lines like the torch lead away from Step and Direction Wiring. I have seen the Torch lead cable running along the stepper motor wiring to cause issues with lost/gained steps. Even the Power Supply for the TX Board should ground to the cabinet ground buss bar. Also good grounded/shielded wiring is a must.
Last edited by Joey on Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotg1107

Re: Proper grounding

Post by scotg1107 »

Thank you for the reply