Thc problem < non hypertherm build >

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Thc problem

Post by tblough »

Did you measure the battery voltage with a multimeter? Many batteries have voltages higher than their specification voltage.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ShawnM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Did you try another battery, something like a simple AA battery with 1.5 volts? Also, handling the cards with your bare hands while powered up is a bad idea. You can short things and also static electricity from you can damage sensitive components.
Joey
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Joey »

The single L.E.D. does not indicate an issue with the board. I agree with Though and Shawn. Try a lower voltage battery and just double check the battery voltage with a separate meter. It's not uncommon for a battery to have a charge that is half a volt higher than it's rated Voltage.
Tamarbarr

Post by Tamarbarr »

I did check the voltage of the battery before wire it to the thc, I was 9.56v.
I also checked with 5v power supply and the result was the same.
The bench test reading always shows 10.00v with battery connected and without a battery connected 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Is it possible that I damaged only the voltage reading function of the board? Cause the conductive tip touch off function work as it should
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

You either don't have things wired or configured correctly or yes, you may have damaged that board with the high voltages you stated you had earlier in the post.

This is why Centroid tells you to run the RX/TX tests in the install manual BEFORE you run the machine. It's very important you follow the install instructions per the manual. There is a lot that can go wrong if you don't. Had you done the bench test first you'd know if the board was working properly. With the voltage readings you stated you had I'm betting something is wrong with the board(s) now.

If you turn off THC in the settings and simply unplug the Acorn TX board from the system and measure the divided voltage at the ANLV and GND terminals while cutting a test line what voltage do you get?

You do understand that the ANLV is the NEGATIVE side of the divided voltage and the GND is the POSITIVE side of the divided voltage, yes? Did you wire this backwards?
Tamarbarr

Post by Tamarbarr »

Yes I wired it correctly.
I don't fully understand,
1. Turn the thc settings of - ok i understand.
2. Disconnect the tx board from the system?
Simply take of the wires that are connected to it? Power supply? Fiber opti cable? Everything?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Unplug the wire connector from the TX board and put a meter in the ANLV and GND coming from the voltage divider on your plasma cutter. You want to cut the 4" line test and measure the voltage on the two wires coming from your plasmas voltage divider.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Tamar. Not looking good for the TX Board. I think the high voltage from the plasma cutter has damaged the divided voltage reading side of the TX board.

The divided voltage going to the TX board has to be less than 10V. Verify you have a divided voltage from the plasma cutter that is less than 10volts before the TX board is replaced.

I see you mentioned you had multiple options for divided voltage's from your plasma cutter. 1/50 divided voltage came out at 67 volts. I'm curious what the other divided voltage options actually are when read with a meter. What voltage does the 1/100 voltage divider put out?

You can remove the TX board as it is not needed at this point and is not reading voltage. Even if the TX board was working we do not want to hook the TX board up until the Divided voltage coming from the Plasma box is definitely lower than 10V.

I've created a what's app link so you can call me here https://call.whatsapp.com/voice/iphrSorFPJjORXi9nZIusL
Tamarbarr

Re: Thc problem < non hypertherm build >

Post by Tamarbarr »

OK so here are the news, the divided voltage from the plasma is 4-3v (I've fixed it) at 1:50 ratio.
The cut height from the misnco need to be 3mm and that is what I did.

The tx board still not reading any voltage and always showing 10v when I run the benchtest (it showing 10v even when there are no wires connected to it and there are no voltage to read it still showing the reading of 10.00v unfortunately.

Should I replace the tx board?
Joey

Re: Thc problem < non hypertherm build >

Post by Joey »

3-4 volts for the divided voltage is a lot better. That's in the right voltage range.
Unfortunately you need a new TX board.
Just contact Nancy at diysales@centroidcnc.com and she will get you setup for a replacement TX board.