Closed loop stepper or clear path closed loop stepper.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Skipster67
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Closed loop stepper or clear path closed loop stepper.

Post by Skipster67 »

Ok I need feedback gonna rebuild both x,y and put a new motor on the z. Clear path or closed loop. Cant really afford servo. Maybe in a few years. But for now any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks guys
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Re: Closed loop stepper or clear path closed loop stepper.

Post by jcoldon »

i built lot plasma tables easy cheapest drive system 900 oz steppers 34 8 wire motors using avid cnc 3 to 1 pro drive lot power plenty of speed for most builds . i wire the 8 wire motor series wire use gecko vampire drives at 72 volt my FB page cnc plasma table builders and my form pic video show the build i did just to bata test the acorn . keep in mind high acceleration is necessary in plasma . direct drive never gits good cuts . lead screws shake high speed . there good for routers .
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Skipster67 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:05 pm Ok I need feedback gonna rebuild both x,y and put a new motor on the z. Clear path or closed loop. Cant really afford servo. Maybe in a few years. But for now any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks guys
Clearpath ARE servo drives and far superior to any stepper drive. By the time you buy a stepper drive and a stepper motor you are at the same cost as the Clearpath servo drives. The drive and motor are in one nice, neat package. Add a power supply and you're off to the races. I highly recommend the Clearpath servo drives. I have them on my 5x10 plasma table and one of my routers. Very quick rapids and plenty of power.

There's a motto on the forum somewhere, "buy once, cry once". Spend the money now instead of doing it twice, it makes no "cents" to go cheap now only to spend more later. Especially if you still get crappy cuts, what have you gained?

I understand money doesn't grow on trees but save your pennies now to do this upgrade right the first time, you wont be sorry. I'm sure you can get a few bucks for the motors and drives you currently have by listing them on eBay or your local CL.

This is just my 2¢ so take it at face value.
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Thanks I really want it done and reliable this time.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Skipster67 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:42 pm Thanks I really want it done and reliable this time.
If you give Teknic a call they will help you pick the correct motors for your application. This way you'll get exactly the motors you need without any guess work. They even have a 90 return policy, if they don't perform to your standards you can return them for a 100% refund. What other company is going to do this for you? I'll give you a hint..........none. :D

Make sure you tell them you need good acceleration and speed from the system for plasma cutting.

If you can afford to but the Clearpath you wont be disappointed and they will far outperform any stepper drive.