Float Switch / Breakaway

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

ShadesOfMetal
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3484E4260321-0601226266
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Float Switch / Breakaway

Post by ShadesOfMetal »

First I will say I am new So sorry if I miss to post something you may need.
I am using a N.O. proximity switch for my float switch which triggers when it is the only thing put in the software as being installed, I will run my torch all the way down on axis and when it hits, the torch breakaway triggers and it is not installed in the inputs in the software, ( also must note that all my breakaways and limit switches are all N.C) when I install the breakaway switches into the wizard the z axis wants me to jog it, I can only go up will not allow the z axis to move down( it won't clear) and I've tried everything to switch or invert the input to the float switch thinking that the N.O. proximity switch is the issue. With no success
Attachments
report_3484E4260321-0601226266_2022-11-04_08-10-55.zip
Report file
(8.66 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Float Switch / Breakaway

Post by ShawnM »

First, if you only define a "torchfloatswitch" in the wizard it also acts as a breakaway switch when it's not performing a touch off cycle. So if you manually jog the torch down using the Z axis buttons on the VCP it will trigger the breakaway. This is outline in the manual.

Second, if you read the plasma manual, on page 14 it states "The Acorn Plasma system requires NPN NC proximity sensors. (PNP will not work)". I've never tried a NO proximity switch and they are generally not recommended for any CNC machine. Do you know if you switch is NPN or PNP? It must be a NPN proximity switch.

Once you define BOTH a float switch input AND a breakaway input then they will work independently of each other. Make sense?

If the breakaway is triggered you can only jog UP to clear the torch, why would you want to jog down if the breakaway is triggered? This is a safety feature so you dont damage anything. If the breakaway is triggered you ONLY want to jog up.
ShadesOfMetal
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3484E4260321-0601226266

Post by ShadesOfMetal »

the problem begins when i define both, they are all npn, but the float switch is the only one that is a N.O. and again when i define the breakaway that is when the issue starts
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Do you have the wizard configured correctly for the float switch and the breakaway? Post a pic of your wizard torch touch off configuration settings.
Joey
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Joey »

Worked with Robert to straighten out the float switch and breakaway setup. Found the Breakaway switch just needed flipped from normally open to normally closed. This may have been the opposite but either way this allowed for no fault when jogging or running. A step that led to some confusion was Jogging the torch down into the material to Test the torch float switch. This led to a breakaway warning and a fault to stop movement. If the Z is not performing a touch off cycle then the float switch will act as a breakaway and stop all movement when triggered. So in this case jogging the torch into the material was treated as an unexpected trip and enacted a breakaway fault. When testing the float switch use the VCP Touch Off Button. This will perform the Touch off cycle and a float switch trip is expected. Also to note the breakaway switch had a very light trigger and needed a slight adjustment as to not trigger so easily. We ran some jobs with Dry Run and looks like the machine movement is set and ready to roll. :D
Attachments
Torch Touch Off Button ON VCP
Torch Touch Off Button ON VCP
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Great work Joey. I had asked him to post a pic of the wizard page to check his setting but never saw a pic from him. Glad you got it working.