Clearpath issues On new gantry

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

AtomicAsian
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Clearpath issues On new gantry

Post by AtomicAsian »

I finally built a new gantry with dual servos.
Tunning and test cutting has improved. NOW I'm wanting the perfect circle and overall cuts
I'm getting a jitter after lead in. circles are not great.
My table is very jerky after each cut moving to the next cut.
What can I do to smooth out this table?
report below
Attachments
7E4F4FB5-F259-4605-92BA-A47F64867EB7.jpeg
report_3484E41BCBF5-0511226200_2022-10-20_17-59-51.zip
(6.28 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Clearpath issues On new gantry

Post by cnckeith »

share screen shots of the Clearpath software setups for each motor.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

do you have a gear box between the axis motor and the pinion? if so what is the reduction ratio?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

I’ll get some shots tomorrow.
Yes 5:1 gearbox 24t pinion
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

you posted this on my FB page . your reduction needs to be 10 to 1 for 1.75 pinion your motor selection small for heavy gantry using large linear slides . your motor only 240 oz inch combined with 5 to 1 drive and 1.75 inch pinion Gona take lot power to move at 350 ipm cut speeds with high acceleration . try 10 to 1 reduction planetary drive go from there . it might just work with small servo . better servo choice be 750 ac servo that others used on that table build what size are the linear rails they look like 25 or 30 mm in pic . slides that size have resistance that motor has to over come . plasma needs high acceleration no velocity slow down to do good Hypertherm book speeds
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

Another question looking at that gantry seeing how high it is built out thin welded steel . with the power on and you push on rises left to right does the gantry move . any movement will show in cuts. i don't do risers that high they shake with high acceleration of plasma . Another with motor not engaged in the gear pushing the y axis on one side any resistance or binding 1 finger pinky push any more needed it binding this goes for y and x axis. linear slides not bolted to dead on flat plate 2 of them will bind cause cut problems they need like 2 k accuracy not to bind mainly machined flat surface .
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

Shit thankyou.
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

originally the Y has a single servo with a 10:1 and a 2 3/8 spur
Everyone recommended the 5:1. clearpath even did with the smaller spur. i did change the gantry to aluminum square tube to lighten it up. Teknic support had to tune the X axis from their end manually. it helped a lot. but i still get a small jitter when cornering. also the thicker mater 3/16” the cuts are sputtering but consistent and cuts all the way through. My first table i built in my garage with chinese ebay parts cuts way better than this table.
Attachments
685A5721-A2E7-416D-AD2F-FD3984B15816.jpeg
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

You been posting cuts on hear and my FB page cnc plasma table builders .
If you are running a 2 inch spur gear with 5 to 1 reduction your results not Gona be good . your resolution not Gona be good nor is your acceleration
That why the table had 10 to 1 in it original designee you got bad advice using 5 to 1 with 2 inch gear and your small motor selection
Plasma about acceleration and constant velocity .
how good it your gear contact . i don't see any float setup . with out a float your rack and linear rail need to be dead on . using float for constant gear pressure better it keep constant force on gear .. just sitting there you push on gantry does anything move any movement over 3 k inch will show in cuts
i see your gantry is very high. torch extended all the way down that cause some movement also

do a test cut some heavy steel like 1/2 inch then cut some thinner gauge i bet the thick steel smoother then the thin stuff
that be sure indicator motion is not good also turn off acorn smoothing in profile mgr
Hypertherm has book speeds if you cant do the book speeds then you'll have to fudge your settings
i been building plasma tables over 20 years i been threw a lot of failed designs that why i always say keep it simple in designed
everything needed for Propper drive selection on my FB page in file section is a DMM servo XL spred sheet it work on any servo to give you an idea on gantry size and weight . your cuts got better once you removed heavy gantry beam . that shows right there you need mor power of higher gear box 10 to 1 using 2 inch pinion i realize that designee wont let you use a 1 inch pinion motor hit the riser . tables running larg e 2 inch gears running 750 watt or more ac servo .
What are your acceleration settings and max ipm settings set at i usually do max then back off 30 percent for safety

my acceleration settings are .15 with 900 ipm any faster i rip a gear off theirs no slow down in circles and curves