Can I change the parameters in the Torch Calibration Program

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Can I change the parameters in the Torch Calibration Program

Post by cnckeith »

and typically the gantry axis is labeled "Y" on a plasma machine but wont be able to tell on yours until you post a link to a photo album of the machine. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Joey »

Hello TOM
Looking at the Wizard configuration menu looks like some of the values are default values. One big issue is the Max rate is 50ipm. That means unless the profile used is 50ipm or less the machine will never reach full feed rate for the Calibration. Looks like you found the limit of the torch calibration macro and the 54inches is just the max distance the calibration can move. The Torch calibration figures out the distance needed based on a number of things like the Accel/Decell rate and the Feed rate of the profile. The Accel/Decell rate is slow at .5 but that's just a default also. I would work on finishing the Wizard configuration settings before Resuming the Torch Calibration. Also looked at your THC Plots and they look great. No 60hz interference or ground loops.
TAS99
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by TAS99 »

The good news is that I changed the profile to Steel 45A -.5 from Steel 45A-.0625 because that was the thickness of the material that I was using. After that I got the correct message saying that it will cut 1 2in line in the -Y direction. Which is what I expected. I haven’t run the program yet because I have to get some thicker material. Do you think that was the problem all along?

As to your other suggestions, they are all good but my intent is to get everything up and running so when I make a change – all you suggested – I won’t have as many variables that may be the problem. I will be upgrading and making the suggested changes when I get it running including a new display that will give me 1920x1080.

The only question I have is about the pairing. I did follow the Pairing guide you suggested as I was going through the machine setup. I read through software pairing again and I don’t see what options I chose wrong.

My configuration is such that the X axis has 2 software paired motors (Axis 1 and Axis 4) and the choices I made are as shown in the accompanying images. Any suggestion on what I should do to correct the pairing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Tom
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
TAS99

Post by TAS99 »

One question I forgot to ask.

Does the material used for the Torch Calibration have to be .25 or is it ok to just choose the .25 profile?

Thanks,

Tom
Joey

Post by Joey »

Your max rate is set to 50ipm. The profile you used required a 300 ipm feedrate. With the a max rate of 50 ipm the job will never reach full profile feedrate. The calibration makes the calibration cut longer based on how quick the cut will reach full profile feedrate. The machine will never reach profile feedrate so the calibration was trying to cut into infinity waiting for full feedrate. Just set your max rate to 300 and you will be able to use the .25 profile for calibration. Calibration can calibrate on any profile as long as the machine is able to reach the profiles feedrate. Your machine setting limited itself to 50 ipm therefore any profile you chose with a faster feedrate than 50 ipm would of failed.
TAS99

Post by TAS99 »

I’m usually pretty good at these things but I’m not doing so well on this one.

I can’t repeat yesterday’s torch config display of 2in. I set the Max rate to 300 in both the Axis Configuration and Material Profile, and I now get a display to cut a line 6in. Should I be seeing a 2in cut or is the 6in ok?

I’ve attached all the relevant screen shots and if there are any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks for the help,

Tom
Attachments
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Please don't change the feed rate in the material profile for the torch voltage calibration. The idea of the material profile is that you will be cutting the material at the book Feed rate specified by hypertherm during the torch calibration.

Before you do the torch calibration, it's imperative to get the XYZ motion correct.
Meaning that the machine is moving the way that it's supposed to. when programmed to move 10 in it'll move 10 inches and do that smoothly and nicely etc. So always do motion tests (overall turns ratios, accell , max rate values must all be set and tested for the machine to have good performance) before Torch calibration.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

And the answer to your original question No, you can't change the length of the torch voltage calibration test, the macro determines the length that is needed based on the machine settings and material choices
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Don't change the feed rate in the profile manager, those are book speeds for the material being cut. In fact don't change anything in the profile manager until you know your machine cant cut at those parameters.

You need to change the feed rate in the profile manager for the .25" steel back to 48 and the cut height back to .06. Leave all these setting alone until you know otherwise.

Please do the calibration with 1/4" material, nothing thinner. Select "Steel-45A-.25" from the profile manager but don't change any of the settings in the profile manager. You have to cut the same material you choose from the profile manager when doing the calibration. .25" or thicker is recommended.

You only need to change the max rate of your machine to be able to cut thinner materials. Have you determined what that is or did you just change it to 300? Ideally you should determine your max rate of the machine and then back off that 10-15%. 300 IPM from your machine is even too slow to cut thin materials.

Please post a link to your Google photo album so we can see the machine and what you are working with. Please also post ALL your plasma questions in this one topic so everything is together and we don't have to go hunting for info.

As for your machine mechanics and paring, what size is your table? This is where a Google album comes in handy. :D The X axis is typically cutting left to right and the Y axis is front to back. They Y axis is the one with two drives, not the X. Typically axis 4 is paired with axis 2. This is outlined and drawn in the axis pairing and squaring manual.
Last edited by ShawnM on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

oops, Keith posted just as I was about to hit "enter".