plasma collision error

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Skipster67
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: plasma collision error

Post by Skipster67 »

Hey Shawn, I looked up the lead screws and they are 2 turns per inch and not metric. However the z axis ball screw im not so sure about I'll let you know how i make out. I do know if i go to fast the lead screws tend to wip to much. I have a large ball screw and 1 gear drive not sure which one I want to double up and use on the Y in the end. Will not be in the garage till Monday night. Closing camp this weekend. So if i dont post updates its just because there hasn't been anything new. Thanks again.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Skipster67 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:27 pm Hey Shawn, I looked up the lead screws and they are 2 turns per inch and not metric. However the z axis ball screw im not so sure about I'll let you know how i make out. I do know if i go to fast the lead screws tend to wip to much. I have a large ball screw and 1 gear drive not sure which one I want to double up and use on the Y in the end. Will not be in the garage till Monday night. Closing camp this weekend. So if i dont post updates its just because there hasn't been anything new. Thanks again.
two turns per inch will work, belt 1:1 with axis motor.

as far as whip is concerned that is based on ballscrew diameter and will limit the max rpm. so the setup you have will be a compromise between max rate of the axis and max rpm of the ballscrew. trial and error testing will determine the max rate you can move an axis and therefore the minimum thickness material you can cut.

i'd consider converting the machine to helical rack and pinion if you want to cut thin materials so them machine can achieve the speeds necessary to cut those thinner materials.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Skipster67 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:27 pm Hey Shawn, I looked up the lead screws and they are 2 turns per inch and not metric. However the z axis ball screw im not so sure about I'll let you know how i make out. I do know if i go to fast the lead screws tend to wip to much. I have a large ball screw and 1 gear drive not sure which one I want to double up and use on the Y in the end. Will not be in the garage till Monday night. Closing camp this weekend. So if i dont post updates its just because there hasn't been anything new. Thanks again.
always test machine movement before cutting so you know and are familiar with its operating parameters and adjust mechanicals to put the machine in the plasma sweet spot as outlined in the Plasma Manual.

with steps per rev on drive set to 1600 or higher

and overall turns ratio of 1 or higher but not to exceed 2.5.....

Test and verify machine motion (without cutting) write a g code program or use MDI

G0x48y48
G0x0y0

observe and adjust

- accell/decell

- max rate (increase until fail, then back off 20%)

then do same for Z axis.

for good motion. once max rate is determined then you know that if you ask the machine to move faster than that in the profile manager it wont be able to do it. etc.

if good motion can not be achieved mechanical adjustments will be necessary. such as but not limited to. Axis motor type and size change, overall turns ratio change so the motor used has the power and speed needed to move that axis in the Plasma Sweet spot.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Ok I have hopefully an easy question. Can I ues another stepper drive along with my G540? I want to run my Y axis on 80v and a stepperonline drive like I use to. The G540 would hopefully be able to run X and Z axis's. I have a speed issue that I cant overcome with 48v Im currently running through he 540. I do have plans to lighten the gantry but I still only want to drive it with one motor so I can install a rotary axis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

yes. you can mix and match stepper drives on axes.
be sure to wire G540 in the Drive only configuration and set Wizard to G540 "drive only"
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Thanks Keith,
I was wondering what the G540 drive only in the wizard was for.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Skipster67 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:16 pm Thanks Keith,
I was wondering what the G540 drive only in the wizard was for.
in my opinion that is the only way to set up a G540 :-)

the G540 was great but now there are much better choices available for cheap.

consider eliminating the G540 entirely for better results. 8-)
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:52 pm consider eliminating the G540 entirely for better results. 8-)
+1 for getting rid of the G540, you'll be glad you did.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

Get better Z axis eBay guy in Texas buy the router one use that round mount the z needs to do like 300 ipm to work good 250 work also servo do 500 ipm