plasma collision error

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Skipster67
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

plasma collision error

Post by Skipster67 »

Hey guys having an issue and not sure what Im doing wrong. Im getting an error Nozzle collision or short Jog to clear torch cycle start to continue.
This happened after touching off and cutting first hole on the bear and moving to the next touch off. and help would be appreciated. thanks
Attachments
report_30E283DFAFA1-1216215456_2022-09-19_17-40-45.zip
(5.24 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: plasma collision error

Post by ShawnM »

When the torch moves to the second pierce point does it attempt to touch off and then give you the error? If so, is the torch touching the material when you get this message? Is the work lead clamped to the material or the table?

Looking at your report you don't really have the machine setup properly or the steps per rev calculated correctly yet. Not that this will cause the error but it wont cut the proper size just yet.

What drives and motors do you have? Please start a Google photo album so we can see what you are working with. Pics of the machine, drives, motors, grounding and wiring are very helpful.
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

It doesn't go down to touch off. Clamp is mounted to the table. It also starts the torch for a millisecond which allows post airflow but no ignition. I can use the momentary torch test and it fires up even with error showing on the screen. Im running a Gecko G540 leads are 5 turns per inch and motots are set to 1/2 step which should give me 400 steps per.rev then 5 revs to move the screw an inch. As per revs Im using lead screws and the Y axis single nema 34 runs both screws which are gear reduced with pullys and belts
I used my lasers alighmen set up to do a 10"x10" test pattern and it was on the money. I'll add some more pics tomorrow. I do not have my homing syitches tied in yet due to needing normaly closed mine are normaly open. Want to add relays to solve. also need fill and drain solinoid tied to auxiliary buttons Im converting from mach4. Hated it for this plasma table. Any help without shooting me will help lmao.
Attachments
20220919_175003.jpg
20220904_133431.jpg
20220904_133502.jpg
20220904_133746.jpg
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Your steps/rev and overall turns ratio are incorrect. Since you are coming from Mach3/4, that explains everything with your current settings. The G540 can only microstep at 10 which yields 2000 steps/rev only. You cannot use 800 like you have and then adjust the overall turns ratio to get the correct travel distance. You will not get good, clean cuts with your current settings. This information is in the plasma manual, please read it thoroughly to get a better understanding of how To set up your plasma so it’s in “the sweet spot” for getting great cuts.

Also, please go to this thread and watch the videos and read everything, you are not setup correctly per Centroid and you will not get good cuts at your current settings:
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... tio#p59083

There's a entire topic on how NOT to set it up like Mach does.

You can wire up normally open switches (without relays) for homing/limit it’s just not recommended. NC switches give a a bit more of a safety feature than NO switches. If you are using proximity switches they must be NPN type. You can select NO or NC switches in the wizard.

Please start a Google album and fill it with pics and post the shared link to the album here.

Let’s please get you set up correctly first then we can work out the bugs you have.

What kind of plasma are you using?
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Powermax 45. Will watch vid on setting up google and get my axis settings changed.
Joey

Post by Joey »

So sounds like your Torch Touch has continuity to the Material clamp some how. I have seen bad consumables cause this. But I see you have a floating torch head so a Torch Touch should not stop the job if the wizard has been set correctly. In the "Input" menu of the Wizard make sure you have the "Float Switch" input properly assigned to the correct Input. In the "Touch off" menu of the wizard set the first question to "yes". This allows for the float switch to auto take over the touch off cycle if the torch tip is shorted by water/debris. Can you take pictures of the Torch touch and float switch input wiring. Also an up close picture of the torch tip? A picture of the touch off menu and input menu would be nice also.
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Thanks everyone I set my rev's and motor to what you reccomend and still had the issue. At least Im set right now However when I removed my touch off wire the problem went away. Then I put it back on and pulled from the torch to check the wire all good. Turns out the the consumables I bought are junk. Only use original Hypertherm consumables. More testing when I order new consumables and sheet metal.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

You can look at the torch touch off button on the VCP and the triangle LED in the corner will be lit anytime it’s touching off or there is water or debris in the tip causing continuity. If you only use ohmic then you’ll need to clear this before it’ll touch off again. Sometimes a quick test fire of the torch will clear it.

I’ve had very good luck with some non Hypertherm consumables that I purchase on Amazon. I cut a lot of aluminum and they work very well. Since they are so inexpensive I don’t mind changing them sooner than I would change the Hypertherm ones.

So glad you got you steps/rev sorted out and set properly. Please post a current report when you can.
Skipster67

Post by Skipster67 »

Will do had a blond moment when restting them. Forgot I updated lead screw to ball screw on the z axis leads were 2 turn ball is 5 it caused my z not to react fast enough and had some drags. Also had my z drive quit for some reason after I finally had everything set right did reset fine but I ran out of time to play with it. Will send report when I can get back on it. Hopefully with some new sheet to play with I'll actually be able to cut without any mistakes. Was using old scrap.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

You'll want a quick Z axis and you can also lower the accel/decel setting for the Z axis in the wizard. I have a pretty quick z with a very quick accel/decel numbers. I was cutting some 1/8" aluminum the other day and it warps pretty good while cutting and it was really cool to see the Z axis move up so quickly when the aluminum pops up. I wished I could have recorded it for a video to share. The Z axis didn't miss a beat when the aluminum popped.

I'm not a fan of the G540 at all but I'm hoping we can get some more speed from your system. Your max rate isn't even fast enough to cut thin material at Hypertherms book speeds. What gauge metal are you cutting in the pics you posted?

When we look at your latest report we can suggest some more settings for you.