I want to home X and Y only.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Sowest48
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

I want to home X and Y only.

Post by Sowest48 »

My build will result in a plasma unit and as such I'd like to home the X and Y only, not the Z.

I've read the documents on Acorn installation as well as the plasma documentation and the other document on axis squaring and pairing and I see no mention of this.

I will eventually use ohmic touch off so I see no need or process for Z homing. By process there is no Z limit switch.

Tim
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Re: I want to home X and Y only.

Post by tblough »

You can home whatever axis you want in whatever order you want by creating a custom cncm.hom file.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Using the ohmic sensor plays no part in whether you have a home switch or not on the Z axis. And as posted by Tom, you can home any axis you want by editing the home file.

I would highly recommend installing a home switch for the Z axis if you are installing home switches on X and Y. Here's why, in plasma when you need to do a torch check or move the torch to WCS zero position or machine zero you'll want the Z axis to move to the home position or top of travel BFORE it rapids to another position on the table. If you have weights or clamps or anything on the material that is higher than your 1" safe height setting the torch is going to collide with those objects. It makes no sense to not add a home switch to the Z when you are adding them to the X and Y. If you were just going to do a "simple home" for all three axis that would be fine but adding two home switches on X and Y and not on on the Z is asking for trouble and more.

I have three home switches on my ShopSabre plasma table and wouldn't operate it any other way.

Cost of a new Duramax machine torch? $794.
Piece of mind knowing I protected it with a simple home switch? Priceless. :mrgreen:
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Cost of a new Duramax machine torch? $794.
Piece of mind knowing I protected it with a simple home switch? Priceless. :mrgreen:
+1 to that.

I have never figured out the DIY builders resistance to a Z homing switch. I would never operate without one. IMHO if forced to choose, I would take Z over XY
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Being old school here, I go for hardware limits on both ends of travel on all axis, especially on machines with the weight or speed to have serious inertia.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i moved this post to the plasma forum
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

The Safest and most reliable setup would be Shawn's setup so that the Z is always retracted as far away material as possible. The Safe height can be set to whatever height you would like and is not restricted to 1 inch. Limit Switches on the Z is always a good safe practice also. A Float switch for setting Z zero on touch off is also a good idea especially for production machines that do a lot of cutting and time is money. With Ohmic/Torch touch the material must be somewhat clean and you run the risk of a job interruption is the material is dirty or some debris gets stuck in the torch tip which happens on occasion. Shawns Machine runs a Ohmic/float switch combo which is the best of both worlds. This combo will initially use torchtouch/ohmic for the touch off but if this fails the float switch will automatically take over and complete the touch off cycle resulting is not interruptions. The Auto homing cycle changed to only home the X and Y axes if desired.