Profile Manager/G-code editing

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

IronHead Brew
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 78047381F60E-0201191611
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Profile Manager/G-code editing

Post by IronHead Brew »

I originally assumed that the profiles in CNC12 were ignored if the THC was turned off, than I watched a youtube video the other day about sheetcam that mentioned that the feedrate from tools made in sheetcam doesn't mater because the profile manager basically takes over. I have found this to be true with my recent testing and am now curious as to how to use multiple profiles in a single job. Specifically, one for small circles and one for standard speed. When looking at the G-code, I see the lines for feedrate and Tool numbers. After creating the Post and uploading the file to CNC12, is it a simple matter of editing the code from within CNC12 and changing the tool number to match a particular profile, a box I need to check somewhere that says to use the profile from the Post instead of the Manager, or create multiple files for each tool profile I want to use?

Thanks,
Rich
'98 era AXYZ 39" x 39" Router
MCG MSD 50D stepper drives
AXYZ NEMA34 stepper motors
TB Woods E-TRAC X2C inverter
Perske VS 50.09-2 spindle
Centroid Acorn
AtomicAsian
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Profile Manager/G-code editing

Post by AtomicAsian »

path rules are supposed to work in sheetcam
I’m going though similar issues. and a lot more.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

The profiles are always followed regardless of THC. If you turn THC off then the entire cut will run at the programmed "cut height" in the profile manager. If you turn THC on then it'll maintain the "target voltage" set in the profile manager. If you choose "smart sense" then it'll automatically sense the arc voltage at the beginning of the cut and maintain that voltage regardless of the target voltage in the profile manager. It also follows all the other setting for each profile including feed rates.

That said, I don't use Sheetcam but I do know that you need to create a path rule for small holes and it'll run at different speeds than what is set in the profile manager. Create a new rule for small circles and tell it how small of a hole you want to apply this rule to and at what percentage you want it to run at. 60% is a good start.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Hello Rich,
The Profile Manager is always used for every Job In Acorn Plasma. If a specific feed rate is desired just throw a commanded feed rate at the end of the line after the "M61" macro. Anytime the "M61" macro is read in the Gcode the Profile feed rate is once again called hence the need for a commanded feed rate to come after an "M61".
There is rarely a need to shut off THC even when a commanded feed rate is inserted due to the THC Configuration menu settings. Anytime The machine slows down past 90 Percent of the Profile feed rate THC Anti-Dive will turn off Automatically. For corners and small holes Anti-Dive is already turning off THC.
As for Sheetcam inserting Path rule for small circles, Just set up a path rule for small circles or/and arcs that will cut at say 60%. Once a Path rule has been set up in Sheetcam the rule will be automatically applied to each Job created unless instructed otherwise. This is great for quick turn arounds in Sheetcam and can be extremely fast and time efficiently. Once Set most Sheetcam jobs for Acorn plasma can be completed in just a few clicks of the mouse. Also since the Posted Gcode uses the Profile Manager feed rate and all rules are based off of this feed rate, there is no need to create one Gcode file for each material. The Gcode file created can used on 16GA steel cut with 45AMP or 1/2inch Steel 85Amps as the percentage of slow down scales up and down based on the Profile selected in the Profile Manager.

This has been brought up a few times, and I think I'll create an updated Screencast video Today to better show how to set up Sheetcam. My previous video on the subject is a little out of date and my understanding of sheetcam has improved somewhat since then. Ill Post a link here at some point today yet.

Joey
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here is a quick Video I made explaining how to set up Sheetcam for Slower feedrates in circles. This same process can be used to apply a slower feedrate to pretty much any part of a job. https://photos.app.goo.gl/iv6HXpC7AJc6BmCj8
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

💪🏽