How fast is your Probing rate???

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

AtomicAsian
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

How fast is your Probing rate???

Post by AtomicAsian »

Curious what everyone’s fast and Slow probing rate is With torch touch?
Mine is Fast 50ipm
Slow 30ipm
I would love to go faster for production reasons but the float switch/breakaway get activated when I go any faster and causes a fault. Almost like the servo doesn’t stop/break fast/hard enough.
I never got the float to work in conjunction with torch touch.
Attachments
6C0F9B4A-3D65-480B-896C-8CEE7C629773.jpeg
Joey

Re: How fast is your Probing rate???

Post by Joey »

Pictures of your torch float switch setup would help a lot. The speed in which you can probe is dependent on your accel/decel rates. In gcode the point of which the axis needs to stop of change direction is defined in the Gcode. So as the software follows the Gcode the motors can start to decel before it reached the defined endpoint so it will not over shoot. Unlike in gcode the location to set zero is unknown. The Z axis zero point is not known until the torch reaches the material at which point the deceleration takes place. The faster the probing feedrate the longer the deceleration. With an ohmic or conductive torch touch there is no forgiveness in the decel and this puts pressure on the material and torch which could trip the torch breakaway switch.
A Torch float switch usually has room for over travel since the floating torch acts as a shock absorber to allow the torch to stop moving down as the z axis decelerates to a stop. If only conductive/ ohmic touch is used I would not move any faster than a 30 ipm fast probe rate. Depending on a machines accel decel rates a 30ipm probing rate still may be to fast for some machines, others may be able to withstand a faster probe rate but that is very rare. Do you have Bob's floating head installed? If so be sure to have the inputs for the float switches properly set up in the Wizard. Also in the wizard is a Touch off menu. Be sure the Touch menu is properly set for the floating head. If there was a forum thread for the machine with pictures of the wiring and torch set up that would make it easier to understand what your working with and help anyone point out any changes needed. Screenshots of the Wizard settings would be great also.
AtomicAsian

Re: How fast is your Probing rate???

Post by AtomicAsian »

here is report