New Setup issues <resolved>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

AtomicAsian
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

New Setup issues <resolved>

Post by AtomicAsian »

Loaded a file
ohmic has issues.
It will make one pierce and stop
says torch tripped ( a small piece of metal gets inside after the pierce.
Z sometimes won’t go down. have to restart and power cycle
it cuts holes way to fast
test fire button not working. after i change the electrode i need to cycle the plasma. older hypertherm 1250
So frustrated Mach3 where are you. haha Just kidding.
Need a video that shows all basic settings everywhere or do I need to take Alpha Brain
image.jpg
AtomicAsian

Re: New Setup issues

Post by AtomicAsian »

new issue. loaded a test g code. went to first pierce and paired but didn’t move. stopped it. hit Go to WCS and started it over. Now it’s moving so slow you can hardly tell it’s moving. WTF.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I think the xp and newer Hypertherm power supplies also require power cycling after a consumable is changed. Test fire button is a momentary switch so you may not be holding the "test Fire" button long enough to fire the torch. It is recommended to slow small hole cutting down by about 60% of your commanded feed rate. A cam software like Sheetcam can slow down holes smaller than a specified size or a commanded feed rate can be inserted into the g code when the Hole is to be cut. I'd be happy to show you how to set the lower feedrate holes up in your gcode and answer any questions you have. Maybe a team viewer session would help?
Joey

Post by Joey »

You can contact me at (814)571-1043. Team viewer and talking on the phone really helps both sides understand and work the issue quickly.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

The reason its moving so slow that you can’t see it is once it faults and goes into restart mode it slows the feed rate down to 25% or slower so it’s going to crawl very slow if you try to move it. I have a new Hypertherm PowerMax 85 and you also have to cycle the power after a consumable change.

It definitely sounds like you need a teamviewer session with Joey or someone else to show you some basics.

Please take the time to read through the plasma manual so you have a better understanding of what’s going on when an issue arrives. Everything you’re experiencing is happening for a reason. As Joey stated when you’re cutting small holes you have to slow down and even turn off THC.
AtomicAsian

Post by AtomicAsian »

So Joey is the Man!!! The time he spent with me was priceless. Many Thanks Joey.
I will continue to read manuals and watch videos to perfect my table. My brain was fried and Joey Saved the day.
Joey

Post by Joey »

The Z Travel Limits were set from Z+ 0 to Z- 3. The touch off cycle did not like that and would not retract after setting Z Zero.
Just reset the Z Travel limit back to Z+ 0 and Z- 0.

Also noticed that the Fast probing feedrate was set to 120ipm? or was it more? I forget. The torch would over travel quite a bit while touching off at 120ipm and the 16GA steel would flex a bit. When the torch retracted to the pierce height the 16GA steel would just flex back with the torch never loosing contact thus tripping the acorn torch touch input and pausing the job.
Fix was to lower the Fast probing feedrate to 50ipm. 50ipm is still pretty fast and I'm not sure how that might hold up to thick steel that wont flex out of the way. Floating torch head set ups are forgiving when it comes to probing over travel and would be the best upgrade for achieving faster probing rates.

Test fire button was not responding to quick clicks because of this button being momentary.
Easy one to figure out

Slow movement issue was the pesky Feedrate override was set at 1%

The Thc voltage plots look great. The System report is attached
Attachments
report_3484E41BCBF5-0511226200_2022-08-05_18-12-52.zip
(4.21 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

120 IPM probe rate? :shock: Was he trying to just drill the steel with the torch? :mrgreen:

Glad you got it sorted out Joey.