New Build - CNC Plasma Table

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Joey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New Build - CNC Plasma Table

Post by Joey »

Only reason I mentioned the pierce delay was from the 4 inch line test cuts having a big Pierce hole. But your Video of the Hook looks like a decent pierce delay. Try the Clamp on your material your cutting and shine the clamp spot up a bit. Can you Show the underside of your test cut lines? Try and get the federate just right so there's no Slag underneath.
landmark573

Post by landmark573 »

Thanks Joey, looks like I posted the same picture twice. Here is a shot of the bottom
Line1_bottom.jpg
landmark573

Post by landmark573 »

Testing update: New report attached.

I downloaded the free limited version of sheetcam so I could post a file using the Centroid acorn post for sheetcam. The part was designed in Fusion 360 and saved as a .dxf to import into sheetcam. The .tap file is attached along with the material profile used.
Flange_top.jpg
Raw top
Flange_botton.jpg
Raw bottom. Highlighted piercings from previous cuts

Cut video and glamor shots on YT

https://youtube.com/shorts/eSDb8ZHlwLI?feature=share
Attachments
profile.jpg
Flange_Test_Part.tap.txt
(1018 Bytes) Downloaded 26 times
report_3484E41BC6EB-0511226197_2022-07-27_16-33-40.zip
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

would be good to get the axis motors belted down at least 3:1 (using avid's axis motor reduction is an easy way to accomplish this or planetary gear boxes that are available.)
having a overall turns ratio of .4238 isn't helping things :-) needs to be at least 1 turn per inch for good performance.

start a google photo album of your project and put all the photos there in one stop.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

I Agree with kieth. One thing you can try for the specific job you just created is throw in a commanded feedrate for the circles.

For each block of g code for the circles. Insert a commanded feedrate on the first line of G code XY coordinates.
For example
M61
Y4 F100.

The torch will move to Y4 at 100ipm

The Macro at the beginning of each cut calls for the profile feedrate and starts the torch so your commanded feedrate must always be after the M61 at the beginning of each cut. You can have Sheetcam insert this for you or you can just edit the gcode manually and throw in a "F" feedrate command. I'd say if your profile speed is 100ipm try and run the circles at 60ipm or "F60". Once a commanded feedrate is insterted in the Gcode. The feedrate will return to your profile feedrate at the next M61. You could also insert a commanded feedrate for arcs in a cut and then return to the profile feedrate after the Arc.
landmark573

Post by landmark573 »

Gotcha, thanks Joey. I was wonder how to slow it down for the curves and circles.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

using had torch not a good idea for cnc but looking at cuts way to fast cut Hight probly off you need to figure out cut speeds and settings before doing holes then reduce 60 percent for holes try that
landmark573

Post by landmark573 »

I've been looking for a machine torch for my Everlast 50s or a Hypertherm 45XP or 65 with a machine torch. Hypertherms at auction go for way too much for my budget. They don't usually show up at auction with CPC ports or machine torches either.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You can make what you have work it’s just gonna be a lot of trial and error to dial in your feed rate and other parameters that works best for your machine and torch. Start with the book numbers in the Profile Manager and adjust accordingly. The cut height is the most important to get good, clean and straight cuts. :For Hypertherm machines that usually always .06 inches. I’d start there and test +/- just a little to minimize dross. Along with feed rate adjustments to also help with minimal dross. Pierce height and delay varies on material thickness. Once you start getting good, clean cuts be sure and edit the Profile Manager settings for your machine. If/when you add THC then you can adjust the target volts to match your machine.
landmark573

Post by landmark573 »

Thanks Shawn. I have made some progress but you're right it takes a lot of trial and error. I'm now working to get my electronics off the plywood test board and into a proper cabinet. I used the table to cut out some gland plates in 18 ga and it did a pretty good job. I will update my google photo album with progress photos as soon as I can.

I have been editing the .tap files from sheetcam to slow down the feed rate when cutting circles with success. I've tried setting the profile feed rate down as low as 10 IPM so I could watch the cut going around a 2 1/2" square with 1/4" fillets on the corners. It goes 25 IPM along the straight sides but the DRO shows it speeding up going into the fillets. Is there a good way to document and troubleshoot that issue?

I will post a video and new report as soon as I can.