Laser align

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Johnalt
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E062347936cf-0413225956
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Laser align

Post by Johnalt »

So just upgraded to the newest beta and I have a laser pointer connected for laser align, when you cycle start the laser turns on and you must reset to turn off ....also same when you hit laser align button.... would be nice to have a off button...and a little more instruction on use of laser align.... Also my laser isn't offset...
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Laser align

Post by ShawnM »

I can’t remember how the default laser macro behaved for the off and on as I have modified mine to work like I want it to but you have to set your specific laser offset in the macro. Every machine will be different so edit the macro with your specific X and Y offset values.

Easiest way to find your offset in my opinion is to move the torch over a thick piece of scrap and move Z to the pierce height for that material. Zero the X and Y axis and then manually fire the torch for a VERY, VERY short burst. Very quickly press the “test fire” button on the VCP to just mark the steel. It’ll leave a small dimple in the steel. Now press the “laser set xy” button so the laser turns on and jog the laser so the dot is in the dimple you just created. Get it as close as you can and when you are happy the values in the DRO for X and Y are the offset numbers you put in mfunc53. Depending on where your laser is mounted in reference to the torch the offset could be a negative number.

Hope this helps.
Joey
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Joey »

Selecting the Laser Set XY button will turn on the laser. Then it is expected that the user will then jog the laser to the desired location and select Cycle start to Set Work Coordinate 0. When Cycle start is selected the laser turns off. If there is no offset for the laser just input 0 for the X and Y offset. The Laser Offset Macro Is "mfunc53.mac" in the cncm folder of the Local C Drive. I've included a snip of my Laser offset macro and have my offset set to Y2 and X1. The X and Y offset numbers are circled in red.
Laser Offset.PNG
Allin1Chris
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Allin1Chris »

If you are looking to have a VCP Button just simply turn the laser on/off. Can edit the VCP Button .xml to use Skin_Event_207. This will make it toggle the output on/off but not run the offset macro.

Take a look at our VCP 2.0 manual that goes over editing the VCP. There is even an example of setting up a button for a laser in this fashion starting on page 18.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos