Lockformer Vulcan 2900 Retrofit

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

calderwoodpeter
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: interested in buying
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Lockformer Vulcan 2900 Retrofit

Post by calderwoodpeter »

Hello,

I recently purchased a Lockformer Vulcan 2900 6'x12' plasma table and a Hypertherm HT2000 to go along with it, they have not been run together before, table was bought with a powermax 900 which I've switched over to hand torch for general workshop use.

I think this might be the time to retrofit the table and am looking seriously at Acorn to fulfil my needs. Here is a link to some photos, https://photos.app.goo.gl/WDEEEPhucqBAiwu76 , to show the current setup and what I hope to use for the Z axis. as far as I know I will need new motors. I would be open to any advice people want to give or ideas I should consider, Im fairly new to everything CNC but have relatives and friends that are experienced on mills etc so will hopefully be able to assist me at times. Motor recommendations would be appreciated including size and style.

I also don't have the current control console for the HT2000, is there a way to control this using the Acorn plasma controller? Or a cheaper alternative than sourcing a Hypertherm console!

Any questions please ask and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Thanks,
Peter
Joey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Re: Lockformer Vulcan 2900 Retrofit

Post by Joey »

Well I according to the HT2000 Manual I can see it has a 50:1 divided Voltage output and all the control communication connections Acorn will need. From what I can tell the gas flow and operation is all controlled on the HT2000. Is that correct?
I don't think there's a need to buy a different Power Supply and the Acorn can handle the HT2000.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220620-104913.png
Screenshot_20220620-105040.png
calderwoodpeter
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: interested in buying
CNC12: No

Post by calderwoodpeter »

Hello Joey,

Correct the HT2000 has its own gas control console which it controls, however it does not have an actual place on the power supply to control current, that is done through a separate console which did not come with the power supply when I bought it used. Ill have to look at the pictures you attached when Im not on my phone! might be easier to understand, and hopefully it is controllable via Acorn.

Thanks, Peter
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

replace the DC servos with AC brushless motors.
looking at the photos (thanks for posting in an album!) looks like you should go with 750 watt AC servp for X and 2 750 watt (paired) for Y and 400 watt for Z would work.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

Id say the best option would be to set up all the Current wires and the current/Common so they can easily be connected and disconnected via a jumper wire. The jumper would be always connected to the current common and when a different current setting is preferred just connect the common jumper wire to the desired current wire. I've attached 2 snips from the HT2000 manual that defines which pins for current settings and the current common. Better than paying $2000 for a Remote v/c module.
Attachments
Hypertherm HT2000.PNG
Hypertherm ht2000 v-c.PNG
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thinking about it now. I guess the Acorn Relay board could be used to trigger a relay that would connect your Current Common wire to the Current setting wire. This may get you into trouble if you accidently connect more than one current setting wire to the common at a time. I'm not sure what the HT2000 would think of that. HT2000 has only 6 Current settings. With 8 outputs on the relay board that should only use 6 outputs.