Acorn Plasma Issue <resolved>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

travasky
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn Plasma Issue <resolved>

Post by travasky »

Ive had the plasma running some test files today and have encountered an odd phenomenon Im hoping someone can chime in about. I'm using the two test files provided with the software so this isn't a post related issue

If I run the program with THC enabled the machine will move to the first pierce point and fire the torch followed by no movement at all. The torch will remain on. Its just hanging on the M61 line.

If I dry run, or run with THC off, it runs just fine.

The THC touch sensing is working just fine. Input 9 works as intended and the torch touches off on the workpiece as expected.

EDIT: I just tried to re-run the torch calibration and the same issue occurs there as well. This was all working earlier so Im stumped why the sudden change.

EDIT 2: In the program graph window during run I get the message "311 Waiting for memory #43 (M101)".
travasky

Re: Acorn Plasma Issue

Post by travasky »

I drove down to the office this morning and did some additional testing.

The issue only occurs when the THC mode is set to "Automatic". Disabled or Smart Sense work. So to me it seems like there is some issue with getting torch voltage to the control. The signal path is Plasma Power Supply-->THC TX Board-->THC RX Board-->Acorn Encoder Input.

I measured torch volts at the TX Board. Beyond there I don't know of a way to test because of the fiber optic cable between the TX and RX board. Is there a way to see the input signal on the software side of things? In the PID menu I'm not seeing any numbers changing.
travasky

Post by travasky »

Report Attached
Attachments
report_E06234797521-0112225530_2022-03-14_08-18-17.zip
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Allin1Chris
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Allin1Chris »

travasky,

Open your Profile Manager, Go to THC Config and ensure "THC Installed" is set to Yes (Green).

Some quick ways to see the torch voltage is while the torch is on, check the 2nd number to the right of "Target Voltage" on the upper right hand corner of the main CNC12 screen. The First number is the % (By default should read 100%), the second should be the voltage which is read in real time.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

i moved this thread to the Plasma Forum.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
travasky

Post by travasky »

Another update:

I did some digging using PLC Detective. Mem43 is used for the TorchOK signal. Digging around the code shows that if a TorchOK signal isn't supplied from the plasma unit there is a provision for this to be overridden in software. I have a TorchOK signal so I wired that up and set an input on the Acorn. Now I can get torch movement. I still don't see Torch Volts in the operator window and only smart sense or disabled work for THC mode.

So I still think the root issue is not getting torch volts into the control. Has anyone dealt with this? Any pointers?
travasky

Post by travasky »

Allin1Chris wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:05 pm travasky,

Open your Profile Manager, Go to THC Config and ensure "THC Installed" is set to Yes (Green).

Some quick ways to see the torch voltage is while the torch is on, check the 2nd number to the right of "Target Voltage" on the upper right hand corner of the main CNC12 screen. The First number is the % (By default should read 100%), the second should be the voltage which is read in real time.
THC is installed and selected. Im not getting anything next to target voltage. Im reading voltage with a meter at the TX board. So any issue exists downstream of the TX board inputs. For reference, during a test fire Im seeing about -3.3V. Running a test cut Im seeing -2.2V or so at a target voltage of 134V
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

hello. do you have an internet connection to the CNCPC? if so, please install Teamviewer and PM me the credentials and your contact information.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Allin1Chris

Post by Allin1Chris »

travasky,

If you are not getting any voltage displayed then would agree, something may be wrong in the chain somewhere.

Can you double check your connection to the THC_TX board, ensure the GND is + and ANLV is the - lead from your plasma unit. It would be good if you could send us some pictures of your wiring as well for us all to see. Here is one of our schematics showing a typical hookup for the THC_TX board and the rest of the system.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... 107.r7.pdf

If reading with a multi-meter, with your Black probe on GND and Red probe on ANLV on the THC_TX Board, should read a negative voltage.

Additionally, double check the connection of the optical fiber from the THC_TX Board to THC_RX board, and the Encoder cable connection from the THC_RX board to Acorn Board.

Also check to ensure both LED's on both the THC_TX board and THC_RX board are on. THC-TX board has 2 LED's near the center of the board, and the THC_RX has 2 LED's near the edge of the board closest to the Encoder Port (DB9).
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
jcoldon
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No

Post by jcoldon »

i seen this stuff before

1 Are you using a hypertherm if so what model if not what model plasma cutter .
2 is your divider set for 50 to 1. if hypertherm are you using a real cpc cable or a diy cpc cable unshielded
3 have you checked the polarity of the voltage
4 when you checked it with a meter was polarity correct .
5 your thc power supply not connected to any other grounds
6 how the ground on your plasma cutter
7 check thc power supply do not jumper dc neg to frame ground
all dc neg should not connect to frame when plasma fires the frame gnd is pos ground
i also float my shield drains to neg dc buss

every thing you posted tells me your thc not reading the voltage it either not correct 50 to 1 or polarity is wrong
with out correct thc voltage there be no arc ok to the acorn .