PP Help on V Carve pro

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

firechief
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

PP Help on V Carve pro

Post by firechief »

I'm using Vetric V carve pro to make my drawings. I have be using the router version of acorn 12 to run my plasma table with the anticipation of the plasma system coming out. Can some one help me out with the post processor that I can use with vetric software for my G code files.
I can edit my PP now but I would like to have it right instead of me guessing at it.

Tim
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: PP Help on V Carve pro

Post by cnckeith »

Shawn is using Vectric to post plasma g code, hopefully he will chime in. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Post by ShawnM »

firechief wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:49 pm I'm using Vetric V carve pro to make my drawings. I have be using the router version of acorn 12 to run my plasma table with the anticipation of the plasma system coming out. Can some one help me out with the post processor that I can use with vetric software for my G code files.
I can edit my PP now but I would like to have it right instead of me guessing at it.

Tim
Hi Tim, as Keith mentioned I do have a working PP for Vcarve Pro for Acorn plasma that I use on my ShopSabre plasma cutter. When I get to the shop later today I'll post it here.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Tim, below is my Acorn THC Plasma PP for Vectric software. I use Vcarve Pro and Cut2D with this PP. It works very well for basic plasma cutting. I cut mainly a wide variety of brackets with my plasma and this PP works on my ShopSabre plasma with a Hypertherm 85 plasma cutter.

Look over the code before you just use it so you understand what it's doing. Use this PP at your own risk.

The only drawback currently is you cannot override the feed rate in the Centroid Profile Manager. This is a limitation in the Vectric software currently.

You also need to add a new "Tool Group" in your tool database for "Plasma Cutting". The only parameter you need to set is the tool diameter and you set this to your kerf width. I created a Tool Group and added a tool for every kerf width in the Hypertherm manual. There's a page in the Hypertherm manual that has a chart for "Estimated kerf-width compensation". It show the kerf width for 85A, 65A, 45A and Fine Cut for all material, steel, stainless and aluminum from 22 gauge to 3/4" thickness.

To save you some time I'll include the PP and the Tool Database that you can just import to Vcarve.

Since you cannot upload all file extensions I renamed them both to a .txt file. You need to rename the PP to have a .pp extension and the tool database to have a .vtdb extension after you download them. Then install the pp in your "My_PostP" folder and import the tool database in Vcarve. Let me know if you have any questions.
Plasma Tool Database.txt
(156 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Centroid Plasma THC for Vectric.txt
(4.22 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

i use Vcarve pro i find it a good art drawing program . But for parts i use fusion 360 . mainly it poly line and less nodes i just find it easier for parts.

Vcarve pro i find tops for art drawing . For the cam i use sheet cam. acorn has several post processor . 1 allow separate feed rates for different layers
and holes . The other will allow the use of M64 drill marker macro . so it mark spots for drilling and cut using the screen speeds .this feature still being worked on but works.

For the little money sheet cam cost it worth it.. it supports plasma settings codes and other features vcarve pro dose not . Plus running drawings threw sheet cam has been known to clean up not so good drawings.

i do art save dxf load in sheet cam. i set my start points cutting direction and what part i want start first and lead-in and keef with . then post it

It important to control. what part starts first. lead-ins were they start . settings like that get you good plasma cuts
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Jeff, you can do all the things you talk about with Vcarve if you know how to use the software. Setting start points, lead ins and outs, cut order, cut direction, different feed rates for various toolpaths, offsets for my air scribe and it even does plasma fillets. It will also clean up those "not so good" DXF or DWG files and output less nodes like you mention. It's a powerful program for what it does, you just have to know how to use it. Is it setup specific for plasma, no, but you can very easily design and output g code using Vcarve and cut those parts on a plasma table.

Is Sheetcam the best way? I don't know but I do know that i personally don't have a lot of spare time to learn more software when my current software can do everything I need it to do.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

Shawn in my case i use several plasma cutters sheet cam provides tool sets made for plasma like acorn does in the screen profile mgr
were v carve does not support that and all the needed z axis settings and THC control settings . Were using it with acorn v carve could work fine if you have post process to run it. Thers a new sheet cam post with m 64 drill to for marking . Not sure if v carve does that . I just started using v carve so i don't know every setting . Were sheet cam i been using it like 10 years . There settings like keef with not sure how v carve handles that Mabe bit offset i don't know . The other reason i use sheet cam i use other drawing programs like fusion adobe and Corell Inkscape Rino . few others so it easier to have 1 plasma. cam program . i mainly got Vcarve pro to replace enroute online program i be using it for galvo laser
bloomingtonmike
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0916130849
CNC11: Yes

Post by bloomingtonmike »

THANK YOU very much for this vectric post processor Shawn!!!!

Now to learn to do lead ins.

Mikie
Mikie in Bloomington IL
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Glad to share it Mike, it’s a basic PP that will get you cutting. You can tweak it as much as you want. The lead ins, lead outs and over cuts are very easy in Vectric, you can have straight or curved lead ins and you can set the angle and length of the lead in. Then you can set the start point on each vector and where the lead in and lead out are located. Very easy with any Vectric software.