SHEET CAM

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

jcoldon
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

SHEET CAM

Post by jcoldon »

I been looking at this pos processor . Seams you guy used every thing win cnc does right down to the codes torch on and off > i leave it at that
Making sheet cam only used for just X Y axis and Torch on and off . That is no thc on off codes no marker. lots of other things

Not lots of things i can do one big thing is center punch tool .
i use that a lot when i just want plasma to mark a drill spot.
the other is a m01 pause used after the center punch tool . to stop between sheet cam layers to adjust plasma amps back up . then restart
i post a link to a you tube video . showing what im talking about so it easyer to understand .. How do i use this in acorn

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Re: SHEET CAM

Post by ShawnM »

In my opinion one of the best features of the Acorn plasma is that it works like WinCNC. You can cut any design from any material WITHOUT having to go create new g code each time if you want to change materials. Just select your material from the profile manager and go. It really simplifies the g code and how the system works.

I'm not near my shop this week but I'm betting everything in that video can be done with the Acorn. I would set up a profile for "plasma drilling" in the profile manager and set the parameters like in your video. Here you can adjust the pierce height and pierce delay as well as turning off THC. There are radio buttons to do this.

You can also easily turn on and off THC with a M code, M35 enables it and M36 disables it. This is in the manual, have you read it?

You can also easily add a pause in any g code with a G4 command. Example G4 P3 is a 3 second pause. A better option is to have a message pop up on the screen for the operator. After it marks the 3 drill spots you could have it pause with an operator message on the screen that reads "Reset plasma amperage and then press cycle start". This allows you to adjust the plasma cutter and then press cycle start to continue the outside cut.

With a Hypertherm 65/85 plasma cutter and an optional RS-485 serial kit you can adjust the amperage and other settings from the CNC control without the need to stop the machine and manually adjust the amperage or other settings. The Hypertherm machines offer a 2 way serial port for these options.

There's nothing that can't be done with g code, you just have to understand how it works and know the G and M commands.
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

Im not debating the fact that on screen control is a bad thing . as long it can do the necessary features needed to do tasks needed.
Win cnc not known as a good plasma program in plasma users community.it lacks a lot.i have wincnc software program . Flash cut is the top dog with command cnc trailing . That is pc operated .i ran a controller 5 years that settings were on screen it to lacked control to really dial in cuts.

Put plasma marker in the screen profile not gona work Because the profile can only do 1 function settings at a time .
I can tell you this.. plasma users not mill or router users . There not gona programing macros and making screen changes to add features .Wright post processors.
they want it ready to go . Keep it simple

Im finding the acorn can do more. Then the plasma sheet cam post processor will allow. Im trying not to change it then im not going to be testing on same level the rest of the users .

i like to see a real list of g codes and m codes this controller can do along with the screen settings
Every plasma controller out there i used has 2 profile settings even the myplasma hobby unit . or has the ability to

Just like adding the second speed to a layer in sheet cam . once the new post processor is completed the way it is now put percent in code snipit to complex.

When i tried to run the plasma punch marker . the sheet cam post does not support the x y axis location or the settings
Most of this stuff was not added because the designers did not know about this type of operation .
Im told we can add drills routers and scribes . but how to do that ? how do i put in screen offsets.. The laser pointer offset in the screen but no button to turn on the laser pointer on . Personaly i burry the offset setting in the profile screen once set it not going to change unless user moves the mount .

Thers lot things missing . Another is offset setting so if i cut a part out of scrap it not square . a setting to offset x y so basicly i can cut a rectangle at a 45 deg angle . with out doing that in sheet cam . Things down the road i guess
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I'm sorry but I'm not following everything you are asking.

Everyone has their opinion of what software is best. There are a number of programs for plasma cutting. The only controller I've used is the WinCNC controller and I wasn't a big fan of it. The one feature I did like is how it handles g code and the material library. That's a huge advantage in my opinion. It allows me to spend more time cutting rather than sitting at my PC creating g code for each material I want to cut.

This is a DIY controller and software. If you want "custom" controls and features then you have to "do it yourself". This means writing macros, customizing the VCP with buttons you want and editing post processors. This is the beauty of the Acorn and it's software in my opinion. There is no "one size fits all" and for good reason. You like Sheetcam, the next guy might like Enroute or WinCNC and so on.

The G codes are in the plasma manual. There's a much larger list of G and M codes in the Centroid Mill manual.

I'll try the plasma drill on my software and machine next week when I'm back in the shop. Seems fairly simple to do to me.

You can add drills and scribes to your machine and software. My ShopSabre has an air scribe next to the torch for marking material and engraving. It also has a laser pointer for aligning material and setting X0Y0. The button on the VCP works the laser. I also have a macro button on my MPG to do the same thing. I'll make a video on how it works next week.
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

First this post got off track with my question of how do i make the controller do plate marking and cut just like the posted video
i do use this method when i build my gantry ends and few other parts.. 1/2 steel 5 mm holes plasma cant cut that hole it has to be drilled

ShawnM im simply saying the options are not there to do some functions. For what this controller going to cost it lacks some basic plasma settings.
maybe the controller does the functions i don't know . I been building running plasma over 10 years .I know the features needed.
like a second hole speed i proved that .But im getting tired of getting second question on basic plasma needs. The controller runs well the thc outstanding .
But if it lacks plasma control features. like second speeds for holes . now plate marking . Granted second speeds do run with sheet cam inputs.

No one Gona buy it for that price if they have to sit there make macros. Buttons .That only a set few people can do . They simply want use the machine add settings and start. Weather it sheet cam or the screen settings . Sheet cam been around a long time LESS knows plasma well. Why not incorporate the plasma settings . there realy no other plasma cam programes out there except the russin one . in that price range
using vectric and other router programs lacks settings for plasma.
Right now the screen setup for one setting does all . If you feal that good then use it that way .that how shop sabor does it every pic has i different cut quality just look good i used one. you be sanding dross off cuts.. It not for me then . i simply make suggestions
to help make the product better . If this product is to compete with systems like flash cut it got work like it
Personally for me i don't need another plasma controller i have about 10 of them . it my hobby thing test plasma controllers let my users know what works I'm on all the fb forms fixed a lot of oem controllers got them to add features.
I will say acorn does run better then others i tested and the thc runs very well

i just feal it need mor ability to control speeds and other features. and add tools easier then make macros and putting percentages in settings doing all kinds of manipulation to get things to run . for what it will cost. That all I'm saying
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

we are going to make a SheetCam post that lets you specify any feedrate you like overriding the feedrate in the Profile that was selected.
cnc12 supports this right now, so no changes are needed in this regard to CNC12 job processing. just need the SheetCam post to generate the G code with the F commands. easy peasy.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here is a video of how to mark points in Sheetcam and insert a Stop or Pause in the Gcode. If you check out the Acorn Manual you will find that ''M0'' is "Stop for operator". ''M0'' should be Used as the "code snippet" for a pause in Sheetcam.

The M code "M01" is an "Optional Stop" in Acorn. If you use ''M01'' as the Gcode snippet in Sheetcam for a pause, ''Optional stop'' will need to be turned on in the Acorn. I cover how to do this in the Video towards the end. If an M01 is used without the "optional Stop" turned on in the Acorn, The M01 command will not be read.

The M code ''M0'' should be used for the pause in Sheetcam as it will function without having to change anything in the Acorn. will be creating an updated video Using the ''M0'' for a pause soon.

PS. Sorry about the Audio.

Sheetcam Marking points and Inserting Pause https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3UzwZNWcwfVPgCv7
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

Thanks Joey i figured the controller can do it

little info the hole sizes in the drill in sheet cam is how the program sees the center of the holes using the drill
some time small holes o just make min 0 and the max larger it does x in center

using Mo for pause easy

thanks till i think of something else LOL i belive we covered everything

except how one can put x y offset to add tools on the z axis
i know we went over the laser offset .

happy new year
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

latest beta sheet cam post.
Attachments
centroid_plasma_thc_sheetcam with optional feed.zip
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here is a great how to video on nest parts in Sheetcam. I was able to nest My part in a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-c0UvSles8