ShopSabre Sidekick 10 Acorn Retrofit

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Joey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ShopSabre Sidekick 10 Acorn Retrofit

Post by Joey »

Maybe dry run the job with contouring to see the feedrate for the inside circle. Once you know that Feedrate you can insert that into the gcode for the circle. Then cut the job using precision. Should be the best of both worlds.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I'll give that a try. I'm at the shop now but working on a router job for a customer. Plasma after lunch. :D
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

ShawnM I noticed the on your video cutting the square the corner are slowing down in the cutting of the corners . That a servo driven machine it should not slow down in corners . you need more acceleration .That creates dross you have on edges . The hole simply need slower speed like i posted the second speed is needed for holes

also i had problems in past programes drawn using to many nodes poly lines dont cut smoothly in plasma .

Plasma not like a router if the bit slows down a little no big deal. But plasma need constant speed . Velocity slow down will cause dross and thc voltage change this move to lower cut height based on voltage change . some tables simply cant do the corner and hole speeds that were thc on off codes in sheet cam made for corners turn off thc then back on . same for holes
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

jcoldon wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:13 pm ShawnM I noticed the on your video cutting the square the corner are slowing down in the cutting of the corners . That a servo driven machine it should not slow down in corners . you need more acceleration .That creates dross you have on edges . The hole simply need slower speed like i posted the second speed is needed for holes

also i had problems in past programes drawn using to many nodes poly lines dont cut smoothly in plasma .

Plasma not like a router if the bit slows down a little no big deal. But plasma need constant speed . Velocity slow down will cause dross and thc voltage change this move to lower cut height based on voltage change . some tables simply cant do the corner and hole speeds that were thc on off codes in sheet cam made for corners turn off thc then back on . same for holes
Yes, it did slow down because I had a specific smoothing profile turned on. It has nothing to do with the servo motors or the table. It's a software setting in the Acorn software using various smoothing profiles. When I switched to the other smoothing profile, "precision plasma", it held the same speed throughout the entire cut and the corners were free of dross. I do cut the smaller holes at a slower feed rate and the perimeter cuts are faster.

My CAD software does clean up all drawings to have as few nodes as possible for nice, clean, smooth arcs. That's also not an issue.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Current report from today for Keith.
Simple circle in 1/2" plate. The torch touches off then starts to cut then half way around the circle the torch raise up about 1/2" above the steel but it continues to cut.
hole test.txt
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Joey

Post by Joey »

ShawnM wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:07 pm Current report from today for Keith.

report_80F5B52C3273-1028215302_2022-01-12_14-03-32.zip

Simple circle in 1/2" plate. The torch touches off then starts to cut then half way around the circle the torch raise up about 1/2" above the steel but it continues to cut.

hole test.txt
Hey Shawn. One explanation I can think of is that THC Delay is turning on halfway thru your Circle and is adjusting the height of the torch to mach the Target Voltage. Is your THC Enabled on these Circles? What is the THC Delay set too? You might need to Adjust the Target Voltage to better Match your Cut Speed and Cut Height for your Material.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I am using the OEM "profile manager" settings for 85A and 1/2" steel and yes THC was enabled. I tried to disable THC and that was worse as the torch was dragged through the pierce dross.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Here are the Profile Settings i used when working with Jeff
Amperage: 85A
Feedrate: 22ipm
Voltage: 144V
THC disabled
Smoothing setting: Precision.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dpb1A5JnHjoHCTf4A
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Doing the straight line voltage test I get 94V on the screen when cutting a 4" straight line in 1/2" steel. The book and the Centroid setting is 131 volts.

85A
45 IPM with THC off
94V
smoothing off

I'll adjust the "profile manager" to 94 volts, turn THC back on and try the line test again. Then I'll try my circles again.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

small holes in 1/2 plate THC has to be off . hypertherm will tell you that . if you hitting dross rise your pierce height use a long enough lead and delay in to go over it. then it should drop to cut height. also i have a pm85 air pressure at cutter back 115 psi mine drops to 108 when cutting dry air also
i built a gauge with a T fitting on cutter back to make sure my air was adjusted pressure was good .

i did quite a few 5/8 holes in 1/2 plate any smaller probly not Gona be to good . i did THC off i did thc on . yes it worked with thc on but due to rising lower cut height i made a small dink in the hole . were no THC cut smoother i also drew my hole 25 thousand over to over come the taper
theirs a video of my holes
one of the big things i had trouble with was due to new software install blow out my settings. the acceleration setting was to low had trouble doing my normal cut speeds i use to over the years 1/2 steel cut 5/8 holes usually cut good at 22 ipm for the holes acceleration in acorn is .15 any higher i found the holes did not cut good . I'm new to acorn so I'm not really sure were they at with .15 acceleration but in uccnc my acceleration is 25
any lower then .15 i miss steps doing 1200 ipm. so my safe max speed is 1000 ipm acceleration at .15 that cut dead on with hypertherm book speeds .