Jcoldon plasma table acorn build

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

jcoldon
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Jcoldon plasma table acorn build

Post by jcoldon »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X25tAZvy1fBCfpRbA

This is my test plasma table i been building plasma tables for a long time .I have a FB page CNC plasma table builders also . I’m new to centroid controllers never used one. I have used just about every plasma controller out there and THC units as well .
The build is a 4x4 .Motors are nema 34 900 oz 8 wire high B steppers. 3 to 1 reduction using avid drives. the z axis is a 400 oz nema 34 8 wire motor .motor series wiring with gecko vampire drives running 72 volt 2000 Micro steps. slides are linear 20 mm high win . The gantry is a 4x3 1/4 aul tube
the risers are 1/2 steel custom design to run avid drives . The frame 2x4 with 2x2 bracing . table designed so 52x52 water 4 inch deep .It recessed in the 4x2 tube.
this allows the gantry risers to be lower and lighter stronger. The gantry weight is around 130 lbs total everything z and all and adjustable .
the cut speed should do 400 ipm with rapids of 1200 ipm with high velocity . This should do all Hypertherm book settings with good cut acceleration necessary on plasma to get good cuts.
No slow down in corners . The z axis on this build uses 20 mm rails should have a 400 ipm speed . Torch mount is the round mount , It uses a proximity sense for it float .and anti collision on same out put . A good mount and adjustable is needed to prevent shake of the torch with high speed . This is a proven design i used in past builds the gantry risers are new design . soon to be tested . The x axis can slide past the gantry risers ro take full advantage of 52 x52 cut area. Left side goes past table for rotary add on
Last edited by jcoldon on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
jcoldon

Re: Jcoldon plasma table acorn build

Post by jcoldon »

how do i put pic on the pages all i could figure out was links
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

welcome and thanks for starting a thread for the machine.

please post all photos in the google album so all the photos are in one location, keep adding photos to that same album. then the link to that album will always be the same.

you can also post links to individual photos within an album here in the forum if you need to point out something about a particular photo.

adding comments to the photos on the album is also helpful and recommended.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

keeth im still figureing out how to even use the album i dont use google at all i had to set things up the hard way figure it out
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ok, no worries. there are videos on how to use google photos. (you can use any photo album service you want doesn't' have to be google)

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

here are the good general guidelines for posting on the forum.

viewtopic.php?p=5010#p5010
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

I been messing around with acorn plasma last night . getting use to the screen . loaded sheet cam post . Problem I noticed
if i make a layer and do several layers like something with holes or small stars . Most hole cutting needs to be oversize 20 thousand . Thicker steel have a slight taper . so slow down is necessary
Some times I do several layers and do different x, y axis cut speeds it just the nature of plasma
Another slow down is tight corners slow down is necessary with table that lack acceleration
Sheet cam provides for the speed settings . But were removed from the Geode using a moded Win CNC post . And speed is set on the screen . Having all tool settings for Hypertherm in a list in acorn is nice but not necessary sheet cam provides that. Just point out necessary needs .
Joey
CNC12: Yes

Post by Joey »

Hey Jeff, Here a Top and Bottum View of the circle cut in 1/2 steel. Thanks for the pointers on the Feedrate. 22ipm is pretty clean with minimal dross.
Amperage: 85A
Feedrate: 22ipm
Voltage: 144V
THC disabled
Smoothing setting: Precision.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dpb1A5JnHjoHCTf4A
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

i changed my acceleration rates to .15 that did the trick it cutting perfact holes now no dross on top very little on bottom very slight taper a resize to 11/16 be a perfact 5/8 bolt hole fit the slight taper
in case any needs to know . the practice on holes in thick steel is 60 percent reduction of hypertherm feed rate . that depend on your table
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Post by ShawnM »

jcoldon wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:23 pm i finaly got mine to cut correctly . i changed my acceleration rates to .15 that did the trick it cutting perfact holes now no dross on top very little on bottom very slight taper a resize to 11/16 be a perfact 5/8 bolt hole fit the slight taper
in case any needs to know . the practice on holes in thick steel is 60 percent reduction of hypertherm feed rate . that depend on your table
Where did you change the acceleration rates? In the Acorn wizard for the axis or in your CAD/CAM program. I don't use Sheetcam so this is why I'm asking. I have no issues cutting perfect holes in thinner material now but would love cleaner holes in the thicker material as well.