Phoenix 2x2 Router fitted with CNC Plasma

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Phoenix 2x2 Router fitted with CNC Plasma

Post by martyscncgarage »

Some time ago, I acquired a Phoenix 2'x2' CNC Router made by Magnum Technologies. It has 5tpi ballscrews on X/Y/Z direct driven by DMM Technologies 400W NEMA 23 AC Servos at 1:1 Pictures of that build can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/IclCSgNKEhVWLYaq2

The goal was to easily remove the 80mm router motor mount and fit it with the Machine Plasma Torch and Breakaway mount. I started by fabricating my own break away torch mount. My torch "floats" on a THK linear bearing and block. With a small mechanical roller switch that trips for float. I still need to fit a metallic nose to the machine torch I got for the Primeweld Cut60 from Primeweld. They are working on sourcing one or having them fabricated perhaps. A few pictures of the break away build:
Mount1.jpg
Mount2.jpg
Mount3.jpg
Holder 15 Cable.jpg
Breakaway Torch Build:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/egwLkt4JKxcbkbQD8

A stainless steel water table tank I had fabricated at my local metal supply house (I made the slat supports and slats):
Water Table.jpg
Picture assembled:
Router Plasma.jpg
Torch Height Control boards with adequate separation:
THC.jpg
Overall Cabinet Shot:
Cabinet Shot1.jpg
Still more testing and work to be done....

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Re: Phoenix 2x2 Router fitted with CNC Plasma

Post by cnckeith »

thanks for posting Marty! i'm trying to get Jeff to start a thread for his machine as well.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Happy to try and answer any questions.
I will try and replace the mechanical switch with a Proximity sensor.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
jcoldon
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by jcoldon »

Have you been using the plasma yet . does the build do the nessary hypertherm cut speeds . like 300 ipm 16 ga 45 amp
Question the THC voltage setting . Does the system do auto voltage so it sample voltage use that setting once the cut starts usaly right after IHS then cut height then thc delay .
martyscncgarage

jcoldon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:40 pm Have you been using the plasma yet . does the build do the nessary hypertherm cut speeds . like 300 ipm 16 ga 45 amp
Question the THC voltage setting . Does the system do auto voltage so it sample voltage use that setting once the cut starts usaly right after IHS then cut height then thc delay .
My machine will do 500ipm.
I do not,bone can afford a Hypertherm machine. I have an early Primeweld CUT60 machine. Initial testing seems to indicate noise on the divided torch voltage line. Primeweld is going to replace the machine with a newer revised unit later this month. It also does not seem to cut as fast as the Hypertherm unit. It does cut nicely.
I can't justify the cost of a Hypertherm and their machine torch for occasional hobby use.

Well do more testing when the replacement machine arrives, and I'll report back. My hopes is to have a more affordable machine for the DIYer's to use with Centroid's THC and control. Primeweld has a 3 year warranty on their machines, has a reasonably priced machine torch and reasonably priced consumables.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

yea the Primeweld machine are HF arc start there not realy good for cnc controllers not built for interfierance . The hf start cause problems
i understand hypertherm high cost . but thers more to it then jus the cutter . the book settings for every cut no other plasma cutter made has them so some time hrs of wasted trial and error with cut settings and voltage settings is worth it alone . yes hypertherm does cut faster then china cutters
my pm 85 at 45 amp do 16 ga at 350 ipm . the duty cycle a little faster on 85 over 45 so it go faster for some reason.
i fine of 10 years building plasma cutters it not just the speed of the table the table needs to have good acceleration to gen the G force needed to not slow down in corners . Unlike a router slow down in plasma reduces cut quality more dross . Voltage change cause thc to dive torch and change cut height . cut height changes cause bevel in cuts also . This makes plasma the hardest table to run and designe hypertherm requires .06 cut height . thers a new unit coming out from hypertherm with a new cut height little higher . the nozels all in one unit replacement
martyscncgarage

jcoldon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 pm yea the Primeweld machine are HF arc start there not realy good for cnc controllers not built for interfierance . The hf start cause problems
i understand hypertherm high cost . but thers more to it then jus the cutter . the book settings for every cut no other plasma cutter made has them so some time hrs of wasted trial and error with cut settings and voltage settings is worth it alone . yes hypertherm does cut faster then china cutters
my pm 85 at 45 amp do 16 ga at 350 ipm . the duty cycle a little faster on 85 over 45 so it go faster for some reason.
i fine of 10 years building plasma cutters it not just the speed of the table the table needs to have good acceleration to gen the G force needed to not slow down in corners . Unlike a router slow down in plasma reduces cut quality more dross . Voltage change cause thc to dive torch and change cut height . cut height changes cause bevel in cuts also . This makes plasma the hardest table to run and designe hypertherm requires .06 cut height . thers a new unit coming out from hypertherm with a new cut height little higher . the nozels all in one unit replacement
You might run a spell checker against your post....

I think you got your information wrong on the Primeweld Cut60. It is not HF start. It is "Blow Back Start"
https://weldguru.com/primeweld-cut60-review/
https://primeweld.com/products/cut-60-2 ... sma-cutter

It is one of the reasons I selected this machine. Primeweld is interested in working with me as a Beta Tester on this project. We'll see how it shakes out. It sure made some nice cuts in 16 gauge using their Cut table but without THC. We know the benefits of THC, and that's why we are doing the tests.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

yea my spelling sucks . my bad i read speck to fast i see now... Arcing start mode. Non HF style non contact start .. sorry my bad.
I took a better look looks like an old hypertherm designs looking at nozzles . they also have a cnc machine torch option
i ask if any one using on on my fb form see if i get some feed back . jim colt sometimes comments on older hupertherm designs
the unit is surly is cheap to buy . update i knew i read HF arc start look at this link . Were is says plasma cutter features
but spec say different so what is it
https://primeweld.com/products/cut-60-2 ... sma-cutter
jcoldon

Post by jcoldon »

hear is a reply from jim colt on the prime weld plasma
Jim Colt
While there are not any good pics of the torch and nozzle that I can find…..the drawings of the torch look like a copy of a 30 year old Max40 unshielded torch nozzle design. Hypertherm has had at least 3 torch design upgrades since then including the shield and conical flow patents as well as the spring electrode patent. So I would not expect the same cut quality and consumable life from this torch. I would expect nozzle double arcing when doing mechanized piercing on materials over 1/4”, poor cut angularity and short nozzle life would be the result when comparing to the Powermax torch technology of today. So, expect lower purchase price ( good!) but higher operating cost ( more grinding and rework , short consumable life)( bad). Jim Colt
martyscncgarage

jcoldon wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:52 pm hear is a reply from jim colt on the prime weld plasma
Jim Colt
While there are not any good pics of the torch and nozzle that I can find…..the drawings of the torch look like a copy of a 30 year old Max40 unshielded torch nozzle design. Hypertherm has had at least 3 torch design upgrades since then including the shield and conical flow patents as well as the spring electrode patent. So I would not expect the same cut quality and consumable life from this torch. I would expect nozzle double arcing when doing mechanized piercing on materials over 1/4”, poor cut angularity and short nozzle life would be the result when comparing to the Powermax torch technology of today. So, expect lower purchase price ( good!) but higher operating cost ( more grinding and rework , short consumable life)( bad). Jim Colt
Jeff,
We agree it is not a $2200 Power Max.
Can we leave it at that?
Mesa, AZ