Millright Mega V Plasma Table

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Millright Mega V Plasma Table

Post by ShawnM »

I’m curious what plasma cutter you have and the thicknesses of the material in the photo. I couldn’t find that info in this topic. I assume you ran the torch calibration test. That material looks thin and 10 ipm seems terribly slow for that material. That cut that is the cleanest looks to have a huge kerf. Do you have google photos page so we can see your setup and wiring?

Edit: I saw your board layout and don't know if you've moved the RX and TX boards. According to the manual and diagrams they are to be as far away from each other as possible and in your photos they are right next to each other. This may be one issue if you haven't corrected it. I still can't find what plasma machine you have?
Trialnterror
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Trialnterror »

i just saw that the boards are supposed to be as far apart as possible. I'm going to move them apart. I haven't got past the calibration. I've installed the newest beta and now it fires and just sits at cut height plasma on not moving, and says waiting for memory. If i try a test run it runs above the part just fine. I'm going to move the boards and check back in. i have a millright cnc mega v plasma/router 35" X 35"
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Trialnterror wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:53 pm i just saw that the boards are supposed to be as far apart as possible. I'm going to move them apart. I haven't got past the calibration. I've installed the newest beta and now it fires and just sits at cut height plasma on not moving, and says waiting for memory. If i try a test run it runs above the part just fine. I'm going to move the boards and check back in.report_0035FF99556E-0825215144_2021-12-12_11-47-37.zip

i have a millright cnc mega v plasma/router 35" X 35"
When did you last update your version of Windows 10, it looks as if you have an older version of Win10 Enterprise. How much RAM? The PC running your machine and CNC12 should not be running any other program or be used for anything else. It's recommended to dedicate a PC solely for CNC12. Are you running other software at the same time or in the background?

I can see from the title of your post that you have a Millright table, what PLASMA CUTTER do you have? Brand? Model number? Hypertherm? Lincoln? Miller? What plasma cutter are you using on the table?

I looked at your wizard file and your encoder counts are different for the Z asis. The x and y are 3200 and the Z is 5000, why? Is this right? Are the drives set the same way? Why is the z different? Your rev/in are very low for x and y and z is quite a bit higher, are you sure they are correct? Did anyone help you set this up?
Trialnterror

Post by Trialnterror »

As for the settings of the drives, I mirrored what millright Cnc had when they sent it to me. These are the settings they had the drives set at. I started trying to just run gcode programs without the plasma running and I’m having all kinds of issues. Sometimes the machine moves and other times it just hangs. I had to walk away yesterday cause it was so frustrating. As far as the Cnc pc, it has 16g ram, no other programs other then the program so Keith can remote in, I’ll have to see if there’s any updates. I thought when I shut it down yesterday it gave me an option to update then shutdown. The plasma cutter I had was a hypertherm that stopped working so I hooked up a thermal dynamics cutmaster 42 that has a 50:1 voltage divider board added. This has a 1.5sec delay to fire. I have a new plasma coming with a machine torch.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

your all over the place with your build . first thing you have to do is get the table to jog in all directions correctly . it need to do hypertherm fill book speeds like 300 ipm cut speeds . also your pc need to check it with the centroid recomended bench mark list . if it doesnt have at least a 1500 it not going to run right thers a smoothing option needs processor speed . once you get all that solved . then do some dry runs of simple codes squares and
holes . get that going first . then start the cutting process last . i know every one wants to cut right away . cutting the easy part you have to dile in table first
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Jeff is right, you have to get the machine working right or all this is for not. Just because the machine was set up by the manufacturer does not mean it's correct for your new hardware.

I'd recommend setting all the drives the same, 1600 or 3200 steps, then wire up ONE DRIVE AT A TIME and get it working. Don't try all three right out of the gate. It's NEVER recommended anywhere on this forum. Get one axis moving as it should and then add ONE more. Then you can mirror the first axis settings and start there. If the first axis is rack and pinion and the next is ball screw then of course there will be changes. It's always easy starting with a overall turns ratio of 1 and see what that get you and then you can dial it in from there. Then on the the next axis. Doesn't this sound much easier than trying to figure out all three at once? That's what's frustrating.

You'll have to assume that the current setting on the stepper drive is correct since the manufacturer put their own sticker over the manufacturers info. It really bugs me when they do this.

Get the THC boards as far apart as possible, make sure you have clean wiring in your cabinet, no rats nests, setup the X axis first and get it moving perfect. That drive is at 3200 so set Acorn the same and set the turns ratio to 1 unless you have already mathematically calculated the the ratio. Does it work? Every time? Then move on to the next axis.

I know this may seem like your going backwards but this is the proper procedure to get this right. I'll be glad to help but there's a proper way to set these machines up and do it right. I struggled just like this on my first attempt but now I'm doing these regularly it seems and still follow this procedure because each machine is different, no two are the same.

Please stop running g code until you get the machine working. This is why you had to walk away, I would too. It's no secret why your cuts look like they do, the machine isn't right and needs attention. I have no experience with your thermal dynamics plasma cutter and I though the THC board only worked with Hypertherm but I've been wrong before. :D

As for your PC, it meets the minimum requirements. But you mentioned you’d check for updates. This is one of the FIRST thing you do in setting up the PC for Acorn. Again, read the manuals. Only software updates for Win10 and hardware updates for your peripherals in the PC. Especially the network card. Is the Acorn plugged into the on board network card and not one you added? It’s also not good to have your PC connected to the internet all the time. Did you do ALL the steps required when setting up the PC? If you skipped any of them go back and set it up again.

Let us know what your next step is.
Trialnterror

Post by Trialnterror »

That’s the thing what doesn’t make sense. My machine moves perfectly manually. When I go to mdi and tell it to move 6” I got it moving 6” etc. but when I try to run g code it works sometimes and other times it doesn’t. I guess I can get a bigger enclosure and start the wiring process over. This is my 6th machine I’ve built I’m not an expert but I’m not completely new at this either. Also I’ll check to see if windows is updated also.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Trialnterror wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:40 am That’s the thing what doesn’t make sense. My machine moves perfectly manually. When I go to mdi and tell it to move 6” I got it moving 6” etc. but when I try to run g code it works sometimes and other times it doesn’t. I guess I can get a bigger enclosure and start the wiring process over. This is my 6th machine I’ve built I’m not an expert but I’m not completely new at this either. Also I’ll check to see if windows is updated also.
Assuming all axis have been tuned and fine dro calibration completed....

How are you doing these measurement tests?
Have you check for backlash? CNCSNW has a good way to test backlash: http://www.cncsnw.com/Lashhowto.htm
Make sure the machine is mechanically sound.

I would put a dial indicator on each axis and run it back and forth a given set distance against a stop, using a simple G code to go back and forth from zero to a set distance and see if it repeats over and over.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:14 am Assuming all axis have been tuned and fine dro calibration completed....

How are you doing these measurement tests?
Have you check for backlash? CNCSNW has a good way to test backlash: http://www.cncsnw.com/Lashhowto.htm
Make sure the machine is mechanically sound.

I would put a dial indicator on each axis and run it back and forth a given set distance against a stop, using a simple G code to go back and forth from zero to a set distance and see if it repeats over and over.
Marty, if you look at his report the drive settings are all different and his steps per rev are very low on 2 axis and much higher on the Z axis. Seems to me a reboot is in order. He just copied the manufacturer settings but that doesn't mean they are right. I wouldn't run any setup like this. Possible noise issues as well. I didn't look at his error log. Stuff is pretty crowded in his enclosure and I haven't seen his current wiring job.

Trialnterror, have you looked at you error log? Do you see any PC resens commands? From the main window, F7, F9 and then F1 will show you the error log. Post a fresh report also.
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

How this going . One thing dont use the medi to tune the motors

what you do is jog an axis to a set point . Mark it zero dro . jog like 6 inch with a ruler . read the dro it should say 6 inch if not adjust .
do that for each axis . dont use a high microstep setting in the drive 2000 max is good or little less .

then set fast jog to your max ipm jog at full speed if it mises steps back off till it does not miss steps . start with 2.5 acceleration . then move that down
till it miss steps . now you know your table max ipm and acceleration . now back off that ipm 30 percent for safety. do each axis this way
make sure you set the x y the same use the lower max ipm . if not the same
the z be fine with it own setting. this is how oem plasma table builders find the table max setting . That high ipm be the rapids
then set the high low jog the speeds you want to jog with . after all this you need to setup your switch offset setting for the float head and ohmic to cut height .
once that all dun . then you ready to try a dry run once that ok . and use sheet cam post processor in sheet cam not something else like vectric
so we on same page .. after dry run you need to cal the thc . directions on the screen . Dont be wanting to cut anything so fast
last step is dry runs can be dun first and use simple drawings like a square and circle . Dont be try to cut like a big tree of life right off the bat
small steps you get there . no homemade code .
ps my spelling sucks so sorry . LOL