Torchmate accumove 2 conversion

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

Digger873
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: Yes
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Torchmate accumove 2 conversion

Post by Digger873 »

UUHHHH do I have off and on backwards? If I do then yes it would be 12800. And that would be about right being off by a 2 thirds :oops: :oops:
I guess I assumed up was on and down was off?
Jared
Joey

Post by Joey »

Thats what I'm thinking.

Can you get a better picture of the Dip switches. Up close and focused.

There is a symbol on the switches that says ON with an arrow. I can barely make it out.
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

20240417_131051.jpg
Ok so Im just going to go crawl in a hole and hide now.
Goodness I feel stupid.
So what I have gathered from this humbling/learning experience is Acorn will use the steps per rev first before the revs per inch. So if you tell it to move a certain distance and you have these settings wrong it will default to the steps per rev that you have entered in the wizard, and it should seeing as I am supposed to know how to set dip switches, :shock: Maybe thats why they call them DIP switches?
Once again Joey
Thank you for your help
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Digger873 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:20 pm Acorn will use the steps per rev first before the revs per inch. So if you tell it to move a certain distance and you have these settings wrong it will default to the steps per rev that you have entered in the wizard...
Almost there. Acorn operates in steps. People operate in inches or mm for those less fortunate. In order for Acorn to convert your 2" move into the number of steps it needs to send to the motor, it needs two pieces of information.

First is the number of steps per motor revolution. That is the number you configure your drive's DIP switches for. Once you configure your drive, you must tell CNC12 what that value was. This value is ALWAYS an integer number and usually a multiple of 200. And it is ALWAYS the same in the drive and CNC12.

Now that CNC12 knows how many pulses to send to turn the motor 1 revolution, it needs to know how many revolutions of the motor are needed to move the machine 1". This is determined mathematically by multiplying any gear reduction by pitch of your leadscrew/ballscrew/rack. In your case that is 1 turn/ 1". Due to manufacturing tolerances this might not be exactly 1 turn for 1", and maybe 1 turn is 1.0003".

So initially you put in 1 turn per inch. Now the Acorn knows that if you ask for a 2" move, it needs to send 2" / 1turn/inch x 4000 steps/turn or, 8000 steps.

Once the machine moves 2" and you measure it and determine it was actually 1.9972", you adjust your turns per inch from 1 to 0.9986. Then a 2" move becomes 8011 steps.

Both steps per rev and turns per inch numbers are needed and both are used.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Joey

Post by Joey »

The Overall turns ratio is an absolute. There is only one Overall turns ratio number. As you found your Overall turns ratio is 1 or really close to it.

With the Overall Turns ratio set correctly. Any number of Steps per Rev settings can be used.

As long as the drive and wizard steps per rev are matching, switching from 1600 to 3200 will always move the same amount with the same overall turns ratio.

The trap is when the Steps per Rev in the Wizard does not match what the drive is set too.

In your example the Wizard was set to 4000 steps per rev, with your overall turns ratio of 1, cnc12 sent out 4000 steps to the drive so the drive would move 1 inch.

What you didn't know was the Drive was set to except 12800 steps per revolution. So when the drive received 4000 steps from CNC12 the drive only rotated about 1/3 of a turn or about 1/3 of an inch

What you then found was by telling CNC12 to rotate the motor 3 times to move 1 inch or an overall turns ratio of around 3, you would get the correct amount of movement around 1 inch.

With the wizard set to 4000 steps per rev and a Overall turns ratio of 3 rev per inch. CNC12 will put out 12800 steps to move 1 inch.

When the Drives received the 12800 steps the motor rotated one full revolution and the Gantry moved 1 inch.

The Drives Puls per revolution settings need to match the Wizards steps per revolution setting. 

Since there is no feedback communication from the Drive to the Acorn.
The Acorn does not know what the drives are set too and just pumps out whatever the Wizard Steps per rev and overall turns ratio is set too.

The Dip switches are small and easy to get mixed up on. Luckily there's nothing you can damage.

Good Job with the Pictures. They really help

Just for simplicity I would just set all the drive dip switches to the same settings.
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Thanks again for all your help guys. I had a feeling it would be something simple. I corrected the dip switches and settings in the wizard and what do you know .995 revs per inch is less than a 32nd off. And at 400 ipm. With the same motors running on torchmates system 150 ipm was max without losing steps. I guess giving a 6 amp motor, 6 amps of power, works a little better then 2.5 amps.
Now a least I can sleep knowing its right.
Now on to the plasma control part and breakaway.
Jared
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Once again I need some help, After sorting out all the setup for my motors/linear motion, I have everything working, home switches/home all,
laser, torch is firing, touchoff is working, ect.. I try to run a job and get communication errors. Doing a stress test over and over and trying different things, I am getting nowhere. The error seems to occur when I move the axis. The stress test says 0 communication errors, and 0 NAcks sent but anywhere from 12 to 25 Nacks received. If I understand this right, a NAck is a Negative acknowledgement and that means the pc isnt sending everything out that the acorn board is expecting making my pc suspect. It is a NUC 7 I5 32 mgs of memory and a terabyte nvm hard drive, and passes the pc check in the tuner but I have had problems with it being slow to do things it shouldnt be slow at.

All of the wires going to my drivers are shielded and grounded on one end including the power wires. All grounds are hooked to the ground bus in the case, case is grounded to my ground rod along with the table. The power coming in does have to get close to the network cable but I would think with the network cable being shielded it wouldn't be a problem (red circle). the power runs up around the right side and back across the top to the breakers. The power also crosses the DB25 cable which is also shielded so again I wouldnt think it would be a problem (green circle).
20240425_132819-2.jpg
Any ideas.
Thanks again
Jared

here is a copy of my report
Joey

Post by Joey »

Seeing a lot of com errors in the msg log.

Have you tried disabling the windows firewall completely?
Centroid_Liviu
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Liviu »

I see you have already gone through some of the troubleshooting steps but please go though TB 270 in its entirety eliminate all potential issues.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/270.pdf
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. https://www.viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
Digger873

Post by Digger873 »

Yes sir, Joey I have gone through every step and the windows firewall is completely turned off. I ran the tuner, 3 times. Then I have gone and verified all the steps manually. The only step I haven't done is the last one in the tb 270 that is inconsistent according to tb 270.
There is absolutely nothing running on this pc except the acorn software.
I have disabled bluetooth, intel updates exited my browser from running in the back ground, and disconnected from the internet.

So the only way I know how to troubleshoot this is process of elimination. I ordered a new pc will have it today. Then the network cable, then each piece of the control box 1 at a time.
I suspect the pc, I have it because it was replaced in my office for being very slow, ( I did replace the fan and hard drive in order to fix it) and because receiving negative acknowledgment from the board tells me the board is expecting information its not getting. All other parts of the stress test have 0 errors. I'm no expert though, so if some one knows more about this please feel free to correct me.
I appreciate the input, I will let you know what happens with the new pc.
Thanks
Jared