Torch Height Question for Cutting Systems Table

All things related to the Centroid Acorn Plasma system.

Moderators: cnckeith, Joey

edevans
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Torch Height Question for Cutting Systems Table

Post by edevans »

Hi all!

I have been using my CNC Plasma Cutter for a while now. The only issue I am running into is when cutting on sheet metal or other thin metal that has some warping, my cuts do not turn out great. I have been looking for an affordable height controller option for a while now. I stumbled across the Centroid Products but I tend to be hesitant towards these purchases if I do not know much about them or have heard of anyone I know using one. These products look great and have a lot of support, but I want to ensure that for my machine, it would be possible to install the Centroid Acorn Torch Height Controller. Or if anyone has done anything similar to the type of machine I have. Wondering if it is possible to install the torch height controller and the difficulties of doing so. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

CNC Plasma Cutter Controller: Burny Phantom
CNC Cutting Table: Cutting Systems Inc.
Attachments
IMG_3756.jpg
IMG_3755.jpg
IMG_3754.jpg
IMG_3753.jpg
IMG_3752.jpg
Joey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Re: Torch Height Question for Cutting Systems Table

Post by Joey »

Thanks for posting! I've got a couple questions for ya. What brand and model of Plasma Power Supply are you using? Does this setup currently run a THC? Does the Power supply have a Divided Voltage output?

Check out some of the threads here in the Plasma forum for results with thin metals. Jeff's Google album has some videos and good quality pictures of 16GA steel jobs. Jeff's Username is jcolden. His Album is https://photos.app.goo.gl/X25tAZvy1fBCfpRbA .

Can you post some picture of the unfavorable cuts? Curious whether the issue is high speed XY motion or Z movements with THC.
Joey
CNC12: Yes

Post by Joey »

After rereading your post looks like your not currently using a THC. Acorn THC needs a Divided Voltage output from your Plasma Power Supply. If you could relay the MODEL of your Plasma Power supply and what CNC Interface Connections it has, that will determine if Centroid Acorn with THC will work with your machine. Best of luck!
jcoldon
CNC12: No

Post by jcoldon »

that old analog setup . Frend of mine knows owner of that company cutting systems inc it near me in ohio . first off that table most likely not designed for speed needed to cut 16 gauge based on the pic I'm guessing that old Hypertherm 120 torch no cpc output the setup designed for thick cutting steel . cutting system not known to build good table infarct one model buy Wescott they sell that junk. were AKS down street is top dog . we need more info on torch model and max ipm that table can do