Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

NEW Atrump Retrofit Project.

Post by Dsilguero »

Hello I am starting a project to Retrofit an Atrump B5AC cnc Mill. The goal of this thread is to inquire about what diy board I should start with.

I want to ensure I purchase an option that will work with my curent centroid m-400 atc box, And 4 axis servo driver. I'm relatively new to this and apreciate any help you can provide. :D

From my minimal knowledge I think I will be needing an acornsix or better cnc control, because my machine has 4 encoders.

Here is a google photos album. of a bunch of images Including servo driver, motor size, along with every component and diagram I could find associated with the machine.
There should also be serial numbers and hopefully all the information I forgot to include. :roll:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uAWHQpTdvKmSxFJM8
cncsnw

Re: NEW Atrump Retrofit Project.

Post by cncsnw »

If I were doing it, and I had reason to believe that the existing DC servo motors and encoders were in good working order, then I would use an Allin1DC, plus a DC1 drive for the fourth axis, plus a PLCADD1616 board for the additional I/O required by the tool changer. That would be a fairly major cabinet rewire.

The attached picture is of a B5AC cabinet that has been upgraded in that manner. It had the benefit of a slightly wider cabinet; but the further handicap of the older Fuji spindle drive, mounted sideways. Yours at least has a supportable spindle drive (Mitsubishi A520). Still, you might consider starting from scratch with a wider cabinet.
P8240005.JPG
I do not believe there is any practical path to leave the Koyo DL205 PLC in place. You will need to rewire all of the I/O.
Dsilguero
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Dsilguero »

Thank you for the reply. I am confident all but the control are in working order. The machine was running fine until i encountered a boot up issue with the curent cnc control. I believe the issue is related to the mother board and wanted to consider an overhour of the old os. I will look into the system you recommend. I will likely have more questions the deeper I dive.

Thanks!
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

thanks for posting the photo album!!

and the Allin1DC controller kit can be purchased here. https://shopcentroidcnc.com/allin1dc-cnc-controller/
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

i moved this post into the Allin1DC forum
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Dsilguero

Post by Dsilguero »

I want to start pricing out the project. Is there a place that has more information on the specific build you shared? I want to know what I can reuse and what new relays or other miscellaneous electrical components I will need to buy.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

No, I do not have a web page dedicated to the B5AC retrofits.

You would re-use the main power switch; the large transformer; the servo power rectifier and capacitor; the emergency stop contactor; the flood coolant pump starter (contactor + overload); the VFD, spindle motor and spindle encoder; and the servo motors with their encoders.

You could re-use the existing DIN-mount terminal blocks, but you are going to need more terminals than are there. I would use all new, e.g. DN-T12-A and DN-G10 from Automation Direct, so that the installation is consistent and a little more compact.

You will need to add a reversing motor starter (reversing contactors + overload) for the tool carousel motor. The original installation just switched the 240VAC legs through the Koyo PLC output relays, but that is not a good idea.

Do yourself a favor and replace the 24" x 36" cabinet with a 36" x 36" or similar.
Dsilguero

Post by Dsilguero »

Thank you for your help! This is exactly what I needed!
Dsilguero

Post by Dsilguero »

I am preparing to purchase all the components I need for this project. I am currently confused by the servo rectifier. I have been reviewing my schematic, and even after taking apart the old box, I can't seem to locate anything. My schematic shows that the 115vdc is going directly from the large transformer to the large capacitor. Is it possible to have a rectifier and transformer in one? Secondly, I wanted to know what additional terminal blocks I will need. I have been studying the various diagrams provided by Centroid, and it appears all have the same 15-row terminal block. Next, my schematic indicates that my motor drive is taking 230vac, which also seems to be directed to the large transformer and is being rectified. This should not cause any issues with the aio if I use a proper power supply to convert the rectified 115vac into 12 volts for the logic system. Lastly, for the reversing motor starter (reversing contactors + overload), is there a specific one you recommend, or does it greatly depend on the motor that runs the tool changer?

Close up images of capacitor and transformer diagram included in album now.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uAWHQpTdvKmSxFJM8
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

No, transformers output only AC.

Rectifiers convert AC into DC.

The label on the old schematic is misleading (read: wrong). The taps that wires #90 and #91 connect to have about 180VAC between them; or about 90VAC from each one to the center tap (CT).

On the old schematic, D1 and D2 are stud diodes. Those are what is rectifying the AC into DC, which then goes through the inrush limiter (CL-101) to the positive side of the capacitor. The negative side of the capacitor is connected directly to the center tap of the transformer.

Each diode is a half-wave rectifier. Because you have two of them, on opposite sides of the transformer secondary (relative to the center tap), the net result is a full-wave rectifier.