CRM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Automation Direct GS20 to Centroid interface parameters

Post by CRM »

I've tried searching the forum for a parameter "cheat sheet" for the GS20, but have come up empty. My apologies for posting if someone has already created a thread addressing this, and a plea to direct me to it. If not:

I have decided to swap my Hitachi SJ200 VFD out for an Automation Direct Durapulse GS20 VFD due to my inability to get dynamic braking to function correctly. I just finished installing and wiring the GS20 VFD per the schematic given for GS2 drives in the Centroid documentation, but there are apparently a few changes to the control terminal identifications between GS2 and GS20 drives.

"DI1" is now labeled "FWD" (I assume ALIN1DC "OUT8" NO still wires to this)--drive parameter Group 02, #00 remains "1" (default, M1: FWD/STOP)
"DI2" is now labeled "REV" (I assume ALIN1DC "OUT8" NC still wires to this)--drive parameter Group 02, #00 remains "1" (default, M2: REV/STOP)
"DI4" remains the same (I have ALIN1DC "OUT5" connected to this)---must change drive parameter Group 02, #04 from "2" (default) to "5" (RESET)

Other parameters that are set other than default:
Group 00, #11 (speed control mode): "2"--Sensorless Vector Control
Group 00, #20 (Frequency Command Source): "2"--External analog input
Group 00, #21 (Operation Command Source): "1"--External terminals
And a few others defining my specific spindle motor.

That all seems pretty logical and straightforward.
Where I am getting tripped up is in the drive fault circuit. (INP10 of the ALLIN1DC) GS2 drives have a pair of relay contacts (R1,R1C,R1O and R2,R2C,R2O) GS20 drives have eliminated the second relay and replaced it with what they call "Multi-function Digital Outputs" (D01,D02) I'm having difficulty deciphering from the GS20 manual just how to set the parameters to output the signal the ALLIN1DC expects at "INP10".
Question 1: Can one of the "Multi-function Digital Outputs" be used as the signal for "INP10"? (If so, what parameters need to be set?)
Question 2: It appears that the relay contacts (R1,R1C,R1O) are factory default configured (11, Malfunction Indication) to serve the purpose of "INP10" from the "R1C" terminal...but wouldn't it be more intrinsically safe to invert the logic of the relay and use the "R1O" contact instead? (This would force the change of the relay state upon power loss to the drive and open the INP10 circuit indicating a drive fault and forcing an e-stop within the ALLIN1DC).
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
cncsnw

Re: Automation Direct GS20 to Centroid interface parameters

Post by cncsnw »

http://www.cncsnw.com/dealernet/TB_GS20.htm

You are correct that it would be technically better to use R1O, and configure it as a "drive ready" indicator.

The only reason that most Centroid installations use N.C. contacts and a "malfunction" status is 30 years of inertia.
CRM
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A900171
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by CRM »

cncsnw--
Thank you for the quick response! On instinct (and based on how I had the original Hitachi drive "alarm relay" configured, I did wire to the NO contact, but I left the configuration as "malfunction". I DID change parameter 02.18 from "0' to "1" (which inverts the relay logic). I tested this configuration by interrupting the drive power while I had the mill control commanding the spindle FWD at 2,000 RPM. The E-stop circuit tripped and the control showed a "SV_STALL ERROR".
So, the question is: are the two methods (relay configured as "Drive Ready" without the relay logic inverted and relay configured as "malfunction Indicator" with the relay logic inverted) functionally equivalent? If so, is there a reason one would be preferred over the other?

One last question: Previously on the Hitachi SJ200 and initially on the GS20, my analog output was configured as "Output Frequency". I always assumed this is what CNC11 is using to display spindle speed. I see you have it configured for "Output Current". I changed to that on the GS20. On the CNC11, the spindle speed is still displayed, so I now assume the displayed spindle speed is what CNC11 is commanding (via the 0-10v output on the "Spin Spd" terminal of H9) the drive to produce. So what is the "Output Current" signal that the drive outputs doing for the ALLIN1DC? Should the ALLIN1DC be decoding and displaying it as a spindle load meter on the monitor? There is an "A" after the spindle speed display on my monitor, but it has always been blank after it. Should it be displaying spindle load percentage based on actual drive output amperage vs. FLA of the motor? If it should, and since it isn't, any ideas why?

I have had my Centroid retrofit up and running for several years, but plagued with that dynamic braking problem tripping the drive and faulting out of a running program all this time. With the swap to the GS20 drive, and now being able to vary spindle speeds up and down as well as stopping without throwing any faults, I have renewed excitement about running this mill! :mrgreen:
Dean Jahnz
Cannon River Machine
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Spindle speed display on the screen is never based on analog feedback from the VFD.

By default (Parameter 78 = 0), the spindle speed display is the commanded speed.
If you set bit 0 of Parameter 78, then the spindle speed display is based on the rotation of a spindle encoder. Obviously, that is only an option if you have a spindle encoder installed.

If you remotely-recent CNC11 or CNC12 software (apparently v3.14 or newer); and your PLC program has spindle load meter support; and you set Machine Parameter 57 appropriately, then yes: CNC11 and CNC12 can display a spindle load meter, as a bar graph below the spindle override and RPM displays. The load meter value is based on the analog feedback from the VFD. You have to configure your VFD to send an appropriate value.