Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

How to Update PLC? <Resolved>

Post by lavrgs »

I'm on version 5.06 I would like to update my PLC. Is there a particular place that I need to put it so that it shows up on the list during install
Is there a utility just to load PLCs?
Last edited by lavrgs on Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Re: How to Update PLC?

Post by cncsnw »

This is not an Acorn.

You just install CNC12 v5.08 over the top of CNC12 v5.06.

When the CNC12 installer asks if you want to install a PLC program, answer No.

You do not need to installer to install a PLC program and default configuration and parameter files, because you already have files in place that are suited to your machine.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Or maybe I misread your inquiry. You don't want to update CNC12; but somehow you want to "update" your PLC program?

What exactly do you want to change, and what exactly do you want to leave the same?
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I just put the v6 file in the directory and it appears to be the one used when I check MPU. I should probably upgrade to v5.08 but last time I tried I lost the VCP and didn't want to pluck with it. I reloaded 5.06 and restored...
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

In this case, no action is needed other than to copy "Centroid_ALLIN1DC_Lathe_Hardinge-r6.src" into your c:\cnct directory.

That is the PLC program source that was compiled to make the "mpu.plc" file which is already in the c:\cnct directory, and is therefore in use on your control.

Even though the source file does not directly affect control operation in any way, it is good practice to keep a copy of your current source file in your c:\cnct directory. That way it will be available when you, or anyone helping you, needs to make changes.

In the absence of that file, anyone (other than me) who tries to help you with PLC program changes or corrections is likely to start with the newest file they find on your control. If that is "Centroid_ALLIN1DC_Lathe_Hardinge-r5.src", then when they made the new changes and corrections, you would lose the corrections that were made in the "...-r6.src" revision.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If this were an entirely different situation, and you had, for example, a new PLC program source file that was not already in use on your control, and you wanted to have that file on your control, and have it in use, then you would:
1) Copy the new source file plus any supporting files (e.g. plcmsg.txt, mfunc*.mac, cnctch.mac, etc.) into c:\cnct
2) At a command prompt in the c:\cnct directory, compile the new source file with a command similar to:

Code: Select all

mpucomp  Centroid_ALLIN1DC_Lathe_Hardinge-r7b.src  mpu.plc
Step 2 would only be needed if whomever provided the new PLC program source file to you did not also include with it the compiled results: "mpu.plc", "mpu.dbg", "mpu.sym", and "plc.map".
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: How to Update PLC? <Resolved>

Post by lavrgs »

Understood. For some reason I did not copy the V6 src file into the directory...I'm good.