Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 104762
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

USB connection

Post by WeirdEngineering »

I recently completed the upgrade of a Lagun FTV1/Anilam 1100 using the Allin1DC. I am very pleased with the results and could not have gotten it done without the help of cncsnw. I am using a NUC PC on the machine and a separate computer with BobCad for programming. I currently save the programs to a thumb drive and then move it the 12 feet to the machine to load it. Are there any drawbacks with connecting the CAD computer to the NUC with a USB cable to transfer programs directly?
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Re: USB connection

Post by centroid467 »

Does that mean you intend to use a USB A to A cable? Those aren't really part of the USB spec...
There is something called a transfer cable which has a box in the middle that does what you want but those are probably going to be about 2 meters long so you'd need an extension cable as well.

Another solution is to set up a local network between the CAD/CAM computer and NUC using good ol' ethernet cables and USB to ethernet adapters if necessary. You'd set up a shared folder or drive on one of the computers and you're good to go. If you want the NUC to stay off the internet then it should be possible to set up that connection to be local only and not pass internet connection through the CAM PC.
WeirdEngineering
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 104762
CNC12: Yes